Confused between Jungfraujoch vs Mt. Pilatus

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 20:34:50 #812593

Hi,

I have two days in Lucerne 30 july and 31st July 2017 .

1. One day i am sure i will go to Mt titlis (Should i pre book tickets or i can buy directly there . I am having swiss travel pass. i read somewhere that for swiss pass holders there is no option to buy tickets online)

2. I am confused btw Mt jungfraujoch and Platus

Although I have swiss travel pass so Mt platus would be a free trip but i am confused that whether should i can miss jungfraujoch. What do you suggest

Also should i visit Titils on Monday or sunday. On which day crowd is less and would get tickets easily.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 6:35:44 #866681

Hi puneetnsit,

1. So for Mt. Titlis, you will get 50% off the cost of the ticket from Engelberg to Mt. Titlis with the Swiss Travel Pass. You can buy the tickets ahead of time online here.
    2. Mt. Pilatus is quite close to Lucerne, while Jungfraujoch is about a 4 hour train ride from Lucerne. Jungfraujoch is a very unique and very popular mountain to visit, but you may not have the time to visit it on your 2 days (you could though if you are prepared for a very long day).

Mt. Pilatus is indeed free with your Swiss Travel Pass. Jungfraujoch is partially free (totally free as far as Grindelwald or Wengen from Lucerne, but the rest of the trip to the top is discounted by 25% only – this will mean about 140chf per person round-trip).

3. At this point in the summer, I’m not sure if there is much difference between a Sunday and Monday but I might lean to Monday for visiting Mt. Titlis.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 7:57:40 #866682

Hi Lucas,

I have recently visited Mount Pilatus with Swiss Travel Pass with Golden Route Option. I was charged 90 CHF approx. I think it is chargeble.

Travelbug53
    Participant
    64 posts
    12 July 2017 at 8:57:14 #866683

We went to Pilatus from Lucerne last Friday. Took the train from Lucerne to Alpnachstad, cog wheel train to Pilatus, cable car and gondola from Pilatus to Kriens and bus back to Lucerne. Everything was free with our 4-day Swiss Travel Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 9:27:24 #866684

Hi harshilpatel,

Indeed you should not have been charged for your trip to Mt. Pilatus. Where were you charged for the trip? Did you show them your Swiss Travel Pass and they still charged you?

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 14:42:12 #866685

Hi ,

Is it advisable to purshace Titlis ticket in advance . Can i buy it at Engelberg station . Also is there any option to skip the line for Cable car at Engelberg.

Do tickets get sold out or is it easy to get

Also what is average duration of titlis tour and mt platus tour. Can we get discounts at restaurants through some coupons at titlis

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 16:30:08 #866686

Hi puneetnsit,

Yes you can buy tickets in advance here. You can also buy the ticket at any staffed train station in Switzerland – tickets don’t sell out, but some days may get busy and there could be a wait.

A trip to Mt. Titlis or Mt. Pilatus (not mt. platus) can vary quite a bit in length depending on how long you stay at the top and where you are leaving from. A round-trip from Luzern to Mt. Titlis takes about 3 hours (a little less to Mt. Pilatus) plus however long you want to spend at the top of the mountain. You can check the train schedules here.

There are no coupons on at Mt. Titlis that I know of. You could buy a Swiss Coupon Pass.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2017 at 1:28:19 #866687

>> Is it advisable to purshace Titlis ticket in advance .

I don’t think it would make much difference really. If you buy online, you get a voucher that will need to be exchanged for a ticket at the Titlis valley station in Engelberg.

>> Can i buy it at Engelberg station .

Probably not at the railway station, but you can buy tickets at the valley station of the Titlis gondola.

>> Also is there any option to skip the line for Cable car at Engelberg.

No. Even if you are entitled to free travel (e.g. with a Tell-Pass), you still have to line up at the ticket window to get a bar-coded card that is needed to go through the barrier gates before boarding the gondola.

Once through the barrier gates, you have to wait your turn to board a gondola. They run continuously, and you board while the gondola is moving very slowly. Each gondola accommodates about 6 people.

>> Do tickets get sold out or is it easy to get

Tickets don’t get sold out, except perhaps right at the end of the day if there are more people wanting to board than the capacity of the gondolas could accommodate. The last ascent is at 4 pm.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2017 at 5:33:54 #866688

i have visited all the mountain tips recently

my opinion in descending order is

1. Gornergrat

2. Mt. Titlis

3. Mt. Pilatus

4. Jungfraujoch

• The thread ‘Confused between Jungfraujoch vs Mt. Pilatus’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.