Does Mt Rigi/Titlis close on Christmas day?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 December 2015 at 9:57:00 #808196

We plan to go to Mt Rigi on the Christmas day via boat to Weggis and cable car to Rigi Kulm. The question is does the services available on christmas?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 December 2015 at 9:43:34 #847269

Hi Fandi –

Welcome to the forum.

The following services all run on Christmas Day, and run in both directions (to or from Luzern/Rigi):

Lake boats from Luzern to Weggis or Vitznau;

Trains from Vitznau or Arth-Goldau to Rigi Kulm;

Trains from Luzern to Arth-Goldau;

Luftseilbahn from Weggis to Rigi Kaltbad (connecting to the train from Vitznau at Rigi Kaltbad and onward to Rigi Kulm via cograil.).

There is a nice walk from down Rigi Kulm (or Rigi Staffel) to Rigi Kaltbad via Rigi Staffel Höhe and then swinging out to Chänzeli for a good overlook before continuing to Rigi Kaltbad ( passing the small chapel set back from the trail on the left near Rigi Kaltbad.)

map.geo.admin.ch/?X=211121.00&Y=677449.0 0&zoom=10&lang=en&topi c=swisstopo&bgLayer=ch .swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe

The connection between the boat and cable car (die Luftseilbahn) at Weggis requires a significant walk uphill from the boat dock to the valley station (Talstation) of the Luftseilbahn. . Approximately 700 meters distance, with a climb of approximately 65-70 meters. The timetable shows 15 minutes. I think it takes longer. There is no shuttle bus. Personally, I’d prefer to make the walk downhill. 😉

An alternative is the ride the boat from Luzern further to Vitznau and catch the cog-rail train up to Rigi Kulm. Nice views. Sit on the left.

Sources for details –

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

map.search.ch/?x=14053m&y=19548m&z=51 2

Altitude change in Weggis – approximately 65-70 meters:

map.geo.admin.ch/?X=209772.00&Y=676218.0 0&zoom=9&lang=en&topic =swisstopo&bgLayer=ch. swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe

I cannot offer and firm answers or comments on which restaurants or hotels or are open on Christmas day. I’d guess that most will be. However, the tourist information office by track #1 in Luzern Main Station probably can help you with that information. They are very knowledgeable.

However, if there is snow, there will certainly be skiing.

I hope that you have sunny weather. The views are quite nice, particularly from Rigi Chänzeli. (Also spelled Känzeli.)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 December 2015 at 13:24:07 #847270

Thanks Slowpoke for the details. Anyway, few more questions:

1. I have an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass. Do I travel free from Vitznau to Rigi Kulm using cog-rail train?

2. Where can I get the boat timetable?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 December 2015 at 15:02:04 #847271

Hi Fandi –

<<“1. I have an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass. Do I travel free from Vitznau to Rigi Kulm using cog-rail train?”>>

I do not keep up on the details of the various passes. But, try this link for a start:

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

Read the page and download the map.

Beyond that, Arno and Annika, the forum moderators, are the experts on passes.

If you can’t figure it out from that link, let us know, and they’ll help out.

<<“2. Where can I get the boat timetable?”>>

Boats are in the timetable link I gave before.

Using the timetable on a desktop or laptop computer apparently gives more “fine print” than on a smartphone, although I have never tried a smart phone for that. Nevertheless, if you have the option, use a computer and study the kinds of information available in detail.

Also –

http://www.bls.ch/e/schifffah rt/fahrplan.php

pick the right set of dates.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Does Mt Rigi/Titlis close on Christmas day?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.