Driving from Gruyeres to Lauterbrunnen

• puneetgup
    Participant
    23 posts
    28 May 2014 at 3:17:59 #806401

As part of our trip, we are planning to drive down from Gruyeres to Lauterbrunnen late in the evening about 8:00 pm. Best route suggested is the route through Bern. I found an alternate route through Boltigen. Is this road decent for travel in the late evening hours? Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    28 May 2014 at 17:08:24 #840093

Hi puneetgup,

That route would be via the Jaun Pass, so quite different from the highway through Bern. The pass is not exceptionally high, but it is narrow sometimes and lots of hairpin bends. Easily doable if you take things slow, pay attention, and know how to drive in the mountains. I would not recommend that route after sunset, if you’re not familiar with the road. You will be there in Summer, right? Between mid May and mid August, it’s light until about 9 PM, so be sure to have reached Boltigen, across the pass, by then. That takes 50 to 60 minutes from Gruyères I guess.

puneetgup
    Participant
    23 posts
    28 May 2014 at 18:19:21 #840094

Thanks for the quick response. I was proposing to drive this route this Saturday, May 31st but am re-thinking now based on your response as I only will be starting from Gruyeres at around 8:00 pm

Annika
    7124 posts
    28 May 2014 at 18:59:58 #840095

If you depart at 8 PM you would just make it across the pass before dark. It’s a beautiful route, but in the dark it wouldn’t make sense and you’re only taking a risk. Why not drive via the Jaun Pass in the morning, and back via the highway?

Anyway, have a great day!

puneetgup
    Participant
    23 posts
    28 May 2014 at 19:02:48 #840096

The route does look very beautiful but we are enroute from Geneva to Lauterbrunnen and stopping over at Gruyeres. Perhaps we can wrap up earlier at Gruyeres and still take the route. Thanks for the advice again

puneetgup
    Participant
    23 posts
    29 May 2014 at 2:40:32 #840097

I am sorry but had another car related query. I will also be driving up to Bern from Lauterbrunnen / Spiez and was wondering where I might be able to find either free parking (park & ride) or cheaper parking nearer the city

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 May 2014 at 8:05:10 #840098

No problem! You have 3 options:

• Do it by train altogether. That would be my preference as its far easier and more convenient than driving into the city. The train station is in the city center so you can walk right into the Old Town.
    • Park in town. Parking places can be found on http://www.parking-bern.ch. It’s in German but you’ll understand the basic info I guess. Beware that “Frei” does not mean “free”. It’s just the number of parking places that is not occupied. The rates start at CHF 2 per hour I think, up to CHF 30 per day.
    • Park cheaper near a rail station of a town near Bern, then take the train for the last few minutes into town. Münsingen is an example. Also see this page at the SBB website.
  • The thread ‘Driving from Gruyeres to Lauterbrunnen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.