First time skiing – October 2011

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2011 at 8:11:07 #804641

Dear sirs,
    Me and my wife will be travelling through Switzerland from October, 18th to 28th. We will arrive in Geneva (2 days), then Interlaken (3 days), Zermatt (2 days), St. Moritz (1 day) and Zurich (2 days).
    Since we´ve never skied before, we were considering spending a couple of hours doing a private lesson in Zermatt. I wonder if it´s the best place to do so, considering our itinerary and the time of the year.
    We´d also appreciate ANY tips on skiing and booking lessons, since we´re from Brazil and totally clueless about dressing and ski equipment.
    Thank you very much in advance!
    Claudio

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 August 2011 at 11:24:48 #834017

Hello Claudio,

I agree with your choice. October is not winter season yet, so the high ski slopes near Zermatt would be the best location. I would suggest to contact one of the ski schools over there. They can provide suggestions on how to arrange for some lessons.

I hope this gets you started!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2011 at 13:27:18 #834018

Dear Arno,
    Tks for your tip! Do you personally know any of the schools and, if so, could you please recommend one of them?
    Actually, I really think this is the best way, since we´ve never skied before but I have loads of doubts regarding what to wear, I mean… are there packages with rental equipment and clothes included? I´m afraid we could get there and be “underdressed” on items that will be necessary. I know it´s not winter yet but I´m afraid it could be really cold up there on the high slopes.
    Anyway, if there´s any other way you could help me, it will be more than welcome; if not, I´ll try to get all the information directly from the ski school. 😉
    Kindest regards,
    Claudio

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 August 2011 at 14:23:37 #834019

Hi Claudio,

I don’t know these schools personally, but I do know that some of them offer private lessons. I’m sure they can arrange proper gear for you as well. You can ski as high as 3,800 meters at Klein Matterhorn (pictures here), so yes, it will definitely be cold up there. You can contact Zermatt Tourism first and ask whether they can suggest a specific school.

If you find the time, it would be great if you could post back here about your experiences.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2011 at 12:41:49 #834020

Thanks, Arno!
    I´ll definitely post here after my trip!
    I´m already contacting ski schools and I think everything will be alright!
    Kindest regards,
    Claudio

• The thread ‘First time skiing – October 2011’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.