Golden Pass train from Lucerne to Grindelwald

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2016 at 17:08:44 #808254

Hello,

I have to travel from Lucerne (base1) to Grindelwald (base2) during my 5N/6D trip in April 1st week. I have heard about GoldenPass Line, but not sure if my travel to Grindelwald from Lucerne can be done through this. If yes, where should I buy the tickets/do I need to prebook/make seat reservations/what should be my preferred route to enjoy the scenic ride. Please advise.

Thank You!

Regards

Raj

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 January 2016 at 18:17:54 #847585

Hi Raj,

Yes, you can travel from Lucerne to Grindelwald via the Golden Pass line. It’s the most scenic way to get there. All your questions will be answered on our Golden Pass page: myswissalps.com/ goldenpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2016 at 19:02:36 #847586

Thanks Arno. Sorry, it not clear to me if I need to make seat reservations to enjoy the best views, on this golden pass. Also, do I get panoramic views on all the compartments? Is there any difference in first class compared to second, apart from seat types, extra leg room? FYI-I would be travelling with my wife and 4yr old kid.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 January 2016 at 20:50:16 #847587

Hi Raj,

Seat reservations are pretty uncommon in Switzerland, you can just board and pick a seat. Specifics for the Golden Pass line can be found if you click to the Tickets section of the page I gave you.

The views are a bit better on the right side of the train. For first vs second class, please see myswissalps.com/train/ practical/2nd1stclass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2016 at 20:57:14 #847588

Thanks a lot for the details, Arno!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2016 at 1:31:18 #847589

I have a feeling that not all Golden Pass line trains have ‘panoramic’ coaches. There is a symbol (I think it is a little triangle) on the timetables to tell you if they do or not. You still get good views from the standard coaches though.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 January 2016 at 6:44:36 #847590

Welcome back Mike! You’re right, not all of them have windows that go all the way up to the roof. Between Lucerne and Interlaken all of them have large windows as far as I know. Different train types run on the other legs. The best ones are the official “Panoramic” trains between Zweisimmen and Montreux. This flyer has pictures of a few different trains: http://www.zentralbahn.ch/sit es/default/files/Golde nPassLine%20EU_basse%2 0d%C3%A9f_0.pdf.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2016 at 8:38:48 #847591

A quick look at timetables shows the triangular ‘panorama coach’ symbol for the route for the first two or three journeys I looked at at random. The link kept crashing so I couldn’t check any more, but it seems you are right Arno. From memory, not every coach on the trains are panoramic so you have to choose your coach but as I mentioned, you still get a good view from standard coaches. One of the main features of panoramic coaches is windows in the roof. These are nice, but I think they are more effective on other sections of the route where mountains tower more above the line!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 January 2016 at 1:06:21 #847592

Hi Mike

Add to the choices (or the confusion) – The Golden Pass trains from /to Interlaken/Luzern may now be called the Luzern -Interlaken Express…

Change is constant. ;-(

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Golden Pass train from Lucerne to Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.