Grindelwald, Chur and Zermatt in January 2015

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2014 at 11:36:17 #806493

hi as im coming to Switzerland in Jan, is Grindelward and Zermatt and Chur good places to stop ?as we want to do train rides and cable cars etc,we are not skiers but love mountains covered in snow etc

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 July 2014 at 19:01:27 #840415

Hi zippy,

I would prefer a place higher up in the mountains over Chur. St. Moritz or Davos for example. Other than that, the tows you plan to stay in will offer beautiful rides with cable cars and mountain trains. See the Grindelwald and Zermatt pages. Lots of people will ski, but not everyone does. You can also do winter walking.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2014 at 9:07:16 #840416

Hi thanks, I chose Chur as a base for the Bernina Express and then the Glacier express , but I will now look at the towns you say , as we are travelling from the UK and thought it was closer, I shall look now thank 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2014 at 10:03:25 #840417
    • Hi I like the look of St Mortiz , so im changing my plan slightly and can I ask what the best thing to do , as we are on the train from the UK , I thought stopping in Basel for I night then travel next day to St Mortiz, as we want to travel on the GE and BE , the BE to Poschiavo and only want to get an 8 day 1st class pass .so this is my iternary if you think its ok as below .
    • Day 1 Travel from UK to Basel
    • Day 2 Travel from Basel to St Mortiz stay 2 nights – go on the BE to Poschiavo
    • Day 4 Travel from St Mortiz to Zermatt on Glacier Express stay 3 nights in Zermatt- Gornergrat/cable car etc
    • Day 7 Travel from Zermatt to Grindalwald and stay 3 nights – Jungfrau and Panaramic train to Lucerne and possible cable car
    • Day 10 Travel back to the UK – so the 1st class 8 day swiss pass should cover us as day 1 we wont use and day 10 we wont use as we work for the railway and will get discount with our FIP cards
    • How does this sound ? it my hubbys 50th on the day we want to travel on the GE
    Annika
    7124 posts
    10 July 2014 at 13:43:08 #840418

I think that’s a perfect plan zippy; you will see a lot in a few days. For hotel suggestions in the various towns you can check this page.

• The thread ‘Grindelwald, Chur and Zermatt in January 2015’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.