Half price ticket coming in from Austria

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2010 at 0:55:46 #803817

I’m looking at doing two long trips in Switzerland Innsbruck-Lucerne-Interlaken and then five days later Interlaken-Montreux-Geneva. I want to follow the Golden pass line, though I’m not fussed about doing the special trains, I figured I would take the regional trains that go along the same lines. I also want to go up the Jungfraujoch (the Half Fare Card gives 50% off this trip, right?), and do a few short day trips in the area. (Bern perhaps?)

For this reason, I think that the best option would be a “half fare card” + point to point tickets. (Unless anyone has another idea) However, I will be coming in from Austria. Will they give me the 50% discount on the innsbruck-interlaken trip for the swiss section, or do I need to book the swiss section in advance? If so, how? Or do I need to jump out at the border and buy the onward section?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 May 2010 at 5:59:41 #831248

Hello Krista,

A Swiss Half Fare Card would be a good option, and you may also want to look into the Swiss Card, as that includes your incoming and outgoing trips, in addition to discounts on further trips. Both cards grant a 50% discount on the trip up the Jungfraujoch. The online timetable allows you to lookup the regular ticket prices so that you can compare that to the pass prices.

There’s no need to get out at the border to purchase your card. Both cards can be purchased in advance through the links provided above. In case of the Swiss Card, you would only need a ticket from Austria to the border, which can easily be purchased in Austria. In case of the Swiss Half Fare Card, you would need a ticket for the whole trip, with the Swiss section discounted. I’m not sure if you can buy that in Austria, but you can buy it through the website of the Swiss railways (SBB). The online timetable is the best way to get started: find your connection and then purchase a ticket.

There are lots of day trips around Interlaken, visiting Bern is certainly one of the options (good for most weather conditions). Of course there are many hiking trails to explore as well.

I hope this helps to start planning your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2010 at 9:27:54 #831249

Thanks for the info. I did look at the Swiss Card, but I couldn’t find a definitive answer as to whether the trip in had to be the same as the trip out. Also, I wasn’t sure that my trips would be considered “the most direct route”. I’ve sent an email to the agents for the Swiss passes here in Australia, but maybe I’ll try emailing sbb too.

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 May 2010 at 10:29:27 #831250

Ok, I see. The Swiss Card does not require the incoming and outgoing trip to be the same. “The most direct route” is either the quickest route (the route suggested by the online timetable) or the cheapest route if you would buy a regular point to point ticket (“cheapest” indicates that it is the shortest route). Prices can be found in the online timetable as well. For example: fo a trip from Zurich to Interlaken, the timetable will suggest to use InterCity trains via Bern, as that is the quickest way to get there. However, the Golden Pass route via Lucerne and Meiringen is shorter and cheaper (but takes longer). Therefore, both routes may be used with a Swiss Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2010 at 5:48:40 #831251

I really hope you’re right, because I’ve ordered a Swiss Card! I’ll report back after I’ve been there. I figure that even if can only use the half price part it’ll be worth it.

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 May 2010 at 12:04:39 #831252

It would be great to hear about your travel experiences! Have a beautiful trip!

• The thread ‘Half price ticket coming in from Austria’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.