Hasliberg, surrounding ski resorts & rail travel?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2011 at 17:47:05 #804477

Hi, we have found a hotel in Hasliberg – which is on the train route betwee Lucerne and Interlaken. We are close to the Meiringen-Hasliberg Resort. We will be there between Dec 28th and Jan 1st. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 teenagers and from Australia travelling by public transport only. My questions are:
    1. Can a eurail pass cover train travel through switzerland for unlimited trips. Does a eurail pass include the golden pass or do we need regional passes? We will be coming from Germany and going on to Italy
    2. Is it easy to travel by train to other ski resorts in the area i.e we are based in Hasliberg but may want to day trip to gstaad for example?
    3. What villages would you recommend in this area accessible by train?
    4. As we will be there for New Years Eve, do you recommend a village we should ear mark for fireworks or events of interest for new years.
    5. My son loves to snow board so which resort would be best for him.

Thanks for your help. Swiss Alps is a massive area and trying to make the most of the time we have.
    I appreciate your feedback.

Kind regards,
    hennessy family

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    13 July 2011 at 8:30:03 #833465

Hello Hennessy Family! I think questions 2 and 3, on other resorts that can be visited from Meiringen/Hasliberg, have already been answered in this topic, right? The Swiss timetable will be of help as well, as it shows exact traveling times from and to Hasliberg, and all possible train connections.

Now for question 1: your Eurail Pass covers traveling by regular train, bus and boat in Switzerland. Mountain trains and some cable cars are discounted. Do you consider a 3 country Eurail Select Pass for Germany, Switzerland and Italy? In that case, you can follow the link ‘Overview of the Swiss network on which the Eurail Select Pass is valid’ at the Eurail Select Pass page for an overview of what’s covered. (There are detail pages on the other Eurail Pass variants as well.) Further features are listed at this page too. Free traveling in Golden Pass trains is included. You only need to pay for the additional seat reservation.

I’m not sure about the fireworks. Generally, larger towns and cities will have more activities than the smaller ones. But even if there’s not much to do in Meiringen/Hasliberg, spending New Year’s Eve there has one great advantage: if you find a nice spot with a panoramic overview, you can see fireworks throughout the valley and that’s magic.

As for question 5 on snowboarding: yes, there are many ski and snowboard tracks there. You’ll find a link to a PDF map with all ski and snowboard slopes at the Meiringen-Hasliberg website.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2011 at 20:03:01 #833466

Thank you very much. The information is really helpful.

Kind regards,
    hennessy family.

• The thread ‘Hasliberg, surrounding ski resorts & rail travel?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.