Help- Pass for Family of 3- Hushand Wife and Child

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2013 at 7:18:42 #805739

Hi,

We are family of 3, me, hubby and and child 6 Years old during the time of travel- 20 March until 26 March Total 7 days in Swisszerland . I need some advise for card.
    p/s: We are always togehter.

my plan

Day 1- Zurich (arrive about 7am Zurich time),would like to take own time to explore around
    Day 2- Zurich to Lucern in the morning- and if time permit, we will visit Bern in Noon. Else we just hang around at Lucern
    Day 3- Lucern – Lucern tour/ boat tour
    Day 4- Lucern – Mt Titles (if weather Permit) – must standby alternative plan if weather not permit, or i decide to go to Mt Tilts on Day 3- exchange programme with day 3
    Day 5- Lucern – Interlaken- Interlaken nearby own explore, or explore Bern if not doing on Day 2
    Day 6- Interlaken – Jungfrau (if weather Permit)- i will workout the route and alternative plan if cant up to Jungfrau
    Day 7- Interlaken to Italy Venice
    Day 7-14- Italy trip- cant decide which route drive or by train yet

Base on my planning, i personally feel i just want ‘free and easy’ and depends my 6years old too. Thats the reason i can’t plan and must follow strictly to my itinerary but i still will play around with above 3 places as my hotel already book.

What do you think my planning? is very rush? (Bern is optional, i can don’t go if tired)

1) Can Swiss Flexi Saver Card Travel on continuesly days? mean i buy 6 days in a month and i travel from 20-25 March .
    Then i buy train ticket for Interlaken to Venice for last day?
    or SwissPass 8 days is best options for us?

2) i cannot find about family card. what does this mean? Can we purchase family card?
    3) and i find out about Junior Card. So what is the best option for my 6 years old travel with us
    4) In your opinion, what card is most suitable for us?
    5) What is the best option for last day- Interlaken to Venice? is 50% discount on my fare if i have Swiss Flexi Saver Card? or is that free for SwissPass?
    6) and can i buy the pass on the day of arrival? as i realise that buy at Swiss itself is much cheaper.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    7 January 2013 at 14:32:22 #837881

Welcome to the forum, airy2310. I think your itinerary looks good; it’s not too full and should be doable for a 6 year old too. You can check the timetable to see traveling times exactly.

As for a rail pass: since you indicate that you prefer ‘free and easy’, you should definitely look into the Swiss Saver Pass. This allows you to get on and off board whenever and wherever you want. You don’t have to buy tickets for most trips and can easily adapt your travel scheme if weather conditions or other circumstances require you to do so. An 8 day Swiss Saver Pass would be ideal (it’s even cheaper than a 6 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass). You’ll only need additional discounted tickets for the Titlis and for the Jungfraujoch trip up from Wengen/Grindelwald. The rest of your trips is for free, including the Swiss leg of your trip to Venice (up to Domodossola).

Please refer to the Swiss Pass page for details, a validity map and all purchase options. Be sure to check the current promotions too. Please keep an eye on the forum, where offers and promotions are listed, and on the reseller overview at the Swiss Pass Page. A local purchase may be cheaper right now, but things may change quickly due to promotions, reseller prices and exchange rates.

You can get a free Swiss Family Card along with your Swiss Saver Pass. This is also mentioned at the Swiss Pass page I referred to. It allows your child to travel along with you for free on all routes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2013 at 19:40:43 #837882

Hi there, glad you are going to get the chance to visit Switzerland this year.
    A couple of ideas for you to entertain your six-year old.
    If you do go to Bern, you could visit the new Bear Park –
    If you catch bus number 12, direction Paul Klee Centre, you can reach the BearPark from Bern’s main station in 6 minutes. (bus free wth Swiss Pass)
    The circuit around the BearPark is accessible every day, around the clock.
    The keepers are there at these times: every day from 08.00 to 17.00
    Shop opening times: every day from 08.30 to 16.30

If weather in Lucerne is too overcast for mountains there is the excellent transport museum where youngsters can have great fun with interactive exhibits or play on the children’s construction site with child-size dumper trucks etc.
    From Lucerne station
    8 minutes by train (S3 or Voralpenexpress) to the “Luzern Verkehrshaus” stop
    10 minutes on bus No. 6, 8 or 24 to the “Verkehrshaus” stop
    10 minutes by boat (own landing stage, “Verkehrshaus-Lido”
    (bus, train, boat free with Swiss Pass)
    30 minutes on foot along the lakeside promenade
    Wintertime 10 am to 5 pm
    Museum Adults 30.- Youth (<16 years of age) 15.- Children under 6 years of age accompanied by their parents: Museum admission free
    Swiss pass is also Museum Pass and entitles you to 50% discount in this museum.
    We spent ages watching children having fun when we visited!

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2013 at 1:02:44 #837883

Hi Annika,
    Thanks for the reply and clarifications. I will post again in this thread if got anymore questions.

Hi Maggie,
    Thanks for your itenerary and suggestion. It definately help me a lot. I will print out and bring over for my reference. Thank you!

• The thread ‘Help- Pass for Family of 3- Hushand Wife and Child’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.