Help require 4Days 3 Night Lucerne tour

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2013 at 6:49:30 #806065

Hi

I will be travelling to Zurich on a businesstrip in June. Will be extending my stay to lucerne for 4 days 3 night (2 adultsand 1 kid). I intend to the do the following and base on that need suggestionsas to what kind of pass should I be purchasing. (Swiss 2nd class orswiss half fare).

Arrival in Zurich on 14th jun, till21st jun for training. Plan to stay one more night in Zurich andarrive in Lucerne on 22nd June.
    My plan for Lucerne is as below.
    22nd June: Zurich HB to Lucernestation (Check on 2nd class SBB, costing 24CHF for adult and 12CHFfor kid) using this website: sbb.ch/en.
    Questions: 1. Am I using the correct website for checking of fares?
    2. Is there any differencefor fare price if I were to take the transport at different timing?
    My plan for this day is basically roamingaround the area (etc, lion monument, chapel, swiss museum of transport). By usingthe pass, does it mean that I entitled to enter the museum for free? How longdoes it takes to travel to the museum if my point of departing is at Lucernestation.
    23rd June: Lake lucerne cruise.
    Question:
    1. By using the pass, does it mean that I entitled to board thecruise for free (on a weekend) if Swiss 2nd class is purchase.
    2. Do I need to plan one day for this lake cruise?
    3. How long does it takes to travel on a round trip on for cruise.
    4. There’s seems to be a lot of alighting area when travelling onthe cruise, where can I find the Fare price of this lake cruise. I’m trying tocompare if buying a pass is more worthwhile.
    24th June: Visiting Mt Pilatus
    Question:
    1. some web site is showing that using of pass to Mt Pilatus entitledfor 25% for the ticket while some is showing 50%. What is the official sitethat I can check and compare of the price to visit Mt Pilatus?
    2. What does it mean by Mount Pilatus Golden round trip (is it the 360degree tour?), (Needtransportation from hotel to a spot where the tour starts, then also needtransportation in the Gondola to reach the top, then the cogwheel to get downon the other side, then take the ship/boat, and then the bus to reach themorning spot back, and then the bus back to the hotel)
    Can we get discount (all 3of us) by showing our Swiss pass.
    25th June: Lucerne hotel to Zurichairport (Home sweet home).
    Question:
    1. Can I travel from lucerne to Zurich airport using Swiss pass, FOC? How long does it takes to travel toAirport?
    2. My flight depart at 1145hr. Will it be better if I stay in Zurichinstead of Lucerne?

Sorry for the lenghty mail and thanks for the help in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    6 June 2013 at 10:16:42 #838931

Welcome to the forum, TravellertoSwiss! Here are some answers to your questions:

• Yes, the SBB website is the most reliable website to check prices.
    • It doesn’t matter at which time of the day you travel to get the discounts with the Swiss Half Fare Card or the Swiss Pass. The Swiss Pass offers free entry to many museums, the Swiss Half Fare Card doesn’t. Please read all details at the Swiss Pass and Swiss Half Fare Card pages and check the downloadable validity maps to see which routes are included.
    • You can plan trips from and to any station, street address and viewing point through the timetable.
    • A cruise over Lake Lucerne takes about half a day on average, but it depends on the route you pick. It’s entirely for free with a Swiss Pass. Timetables and prices can be found at the Lake Lucerne website.
    • The Swiss Pass offers a 50% discount at the Pilatus trip between Alpnachstad-Pilatus-Kriens, whether or not you make the Golden Round Trip. Traveling to and from Kriens and Alpnachstad is for free. The Golden Round Trip is explained here.
    • You’ll easily manage to get to Zurich Airport in time if you leave early. If you feel more comfortable though, you can arrange for a hotel close to Zurich Airport for your last night. Further hotels can be found here for Zurich and here for Lucerne.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2013 at 12:59:24 #838932

the swiss pass gives 50% discount at transport museum.
    Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2013 at 23:34:42 #838933

Hi all,

We are enjoying ourselves in lucerne now.
    Really appreciate all info and helps which you provided.

Thanks

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 June 2013 at 4:10:13 #838934

Good to hear that! Have a great time over there! If you have time it would be great if you could post a short travel report here in the forum once you’re back. Other travelers love to read that.

Have fun!

• The thread ‘Help require 4Days 3 Night Lucerne tour’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.