Hiking Jungfrau & Zermatt area

• NH_traveler
    Participant
    15 posts
    18 May 2022 at 20:30:52 #827224

I am looking at a Wandern Hiking map. Can you tell me the difference between the red mountain trail and the yellow hiking trail?

If I take the first cable station to Grindelwald First , walk to Bachalpsee Lake and onto Faulhorn. How can I get back to Grindelwald without hiking?

Where can I hike for a few hours around Lauterbrunnen? I would be taking transportation from Murren.

Also, in Zermatt, if I take the Gornergrat Cogwheel Train to the Rotenboden station, on the way back to Zermatt, will the train stop anywhere to take a leisurely hike back to Zermatt?

Thank you for your time.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2022 at 23:02:27 #942035

Yellow lines on the Wanderkarte Schweiz indicate ‘Wanderweg’ = walking path. Red lines indicate ‘Bergwanderweg’ = mountain walking path. Bergwanderweg are officially more difficult than Wanderweg, so for example you can generally get away with trainers or even sandals on Wanderweg, but for Bergwanderweg you should wear proper walking shoes or boots.

On the ground, Wanderweg are marked by the famous yellow signs, Bergwanderweg have an additional red and white stripe to indicate the increased difficulty.

There is a third colour – blue that indicates ‘Alpinwanderweg’ these are climbers paths through the most difficult terrain.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2022 at 23:04:55 #942036

There are paths all across the hills above Zermatt. Going uphill from Zermatt there are four intermediate stations on the Gornergrat Bahn: Findelbach, Riffelalp, Riffelberg and Rotenboden. You can walk down to Zermatt from any of these stations.

There is no mountain transport to or from Faulhorn

NH_traveler
    Participant
    15 posts
    19 May 2022 at 2:44:13 #942037

Thank you very much. Very helpful information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2022 at 9:53:41 #942038

Hi NH traveler,

you can find hiking routes in the Jungfrau region here: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/activities (make sure to scroll down until you see the hiking part). This one is an easy hike in the valley: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/lauterbrunnen-stechelberg.

Regarding your question about Gornergrat, you can get off and on if you want, or even skip 1 or 2 stations if you would like to hike. The choice is yours.

Ildiko

More hiking tips: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    19 May 2022 at 11:58:03 #942039

Hi NH

the last portion of the hike to Faulhorn is quite steep (around 1000 ft of ascent as i recall) and you must backtrack to return to Grindelwald unless you continue on to Schynige Platte, a long hike.

A much easier route from Bachalpsee that doesn’t backtrack is to continue to Waldspitz then down to Bort and cable car to Grindelwald. A slightly longer route is Bachalpsee to Bussalp then bus to Grindelwald.

Mark

NH_traveler
    Participant
    15 posts
    19 May 2022 at 19:38:32 #942040

Very helpful. Thank you.

• The thread ‘Hiking Jungfrau & Zermatt area’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.