Ideas for a 2-week Swiss summer itinerary

• Mwrights1984
    Participant
    14 posts
    23 March 2021 at 0:50:21 #825799

We are looking for input on our summer 2021 itinerary. This is a trip that we had planned for last year and rescheduled for 2021. We are staying optimistic that things will continue to get better and we are able to enjoy this spectacular country. Just looking for suggestions activities or areas that would fit within our itinerary. We are avid hikers and enjoy the outdoors. We are also planning on buying the 15 day Swiss Travel pass.

Day 1 – Arrive Zurich train to Lucerne

3 days – Lucerne – (Rigi, Mt. Pilatus, Lake Lucerne and city sites)

5 days – Wengen – (several hikes…Eiger Trail, Grindelwald, Schynige Platte, panorama trail, Murren Via Ferrata, Oeschienen Lake, Harder, Klum, St Beatus Caves and Thun Lake)

2 days Montreux – (Guyeres, Gorges du Chauderon, Glacier 3000, Rochers de Naye)

3 days Zermatt – (Gronergrat, Rothorn, Hangebrucke Bridge, Charles Kuonen Bridge, Gorner Gorge)

Glacier Express to Chur transfer to Zurich

2 days Germany/Switzerland by car – Rhine Falls, Hohenzollern Castle, Lichthenstein Castle, Rothenburg, Neushwanstein Castle and Berggashaus Aescher)

Questions:

Is it worth it to take a day to go to Jungfraujoch?

How is the boat ride on Lake Thun?

Your suggestions are very appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6384 posts
    23 March 2021 at 7:28:17 #934794

Hi mwrights1984,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Your itinerary looks great! We are optimistic too that we all get to travel again soon with less restrictions. If you want to get the latest updates about the travel situation in Switzerland, please follow this thread: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland

To answer your questions:

1. If you have time and the budget for it, I think the trip to Jungfraujoch is definitely worth it. You can get there faster if you take the Eiger Express from Grindelwald. And make sure you check the weather forecast before your trip. You can find more info to plan your trip to Jungfraujoch here: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch

2. A boat ride on Lake Thun is a great way to explore the surrounding areas. St Beatus Caves is a popular day trip that you can combine with your Lake Thun cruise. You can find more details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/boatlakethun

I think getting the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass would be the best way to travel if you prefer convenience (don’t have to worry about getting tickets each time you travel). There are a few options to buy online as detailed here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Anna

Mark
    Participant
    805 posts
    23 March 2021 at 23:38:24 #934795

Hi Mwrights

There are a fair number of regular contributors who don’t think visiting Jungfraujoch is the best use of your time and resources. On the plus side the views are very good. On the other hand it is expensive and often very crowed and very touristy. If you enjoy hiking there are many excellent viewpoints that are not crowded or so touristy. I’ve been to the area several times and never been tempted to go there.

Of course that is only a personal opinion and I’m sure there are many who would disagree and say it is a worthwhile experience and are not so bothered by the crowds and regimentation.

Mark

Mwrights1984
    Participant
    14 posts
    24 March 2021 at 1:23:23 #934796

Thanks…We are thinking similarly. Seems like so many “actual” hikes rather than spending the day riding up.

Lijianhughes
    Participant
    44 posts
    24 March 2021 at 3:40:19 #934797

Is it worth it to take a day to go to Jungfraujoch? – Absolutely yes, provided you got a clear day and you start early. I would consult the hotel receptions at your Wengen stay and plan on the fly.

How is the boat ride on Lake Thun? – I stayed in the Grandhotel Giessbach, which is only accessible via the steam boat on Lake Brienz, I wouldn’t take the boat just for the sake of seeing the lake, but taking it as a transportation was fun and I would suggest to do the same on Lake Thun.

I would also recommend spending an afternoon at Lavaux area during your Montreux stay. It’s less than 20 mins train ride away and there’s lots of Vinyard to walk around, you’ll want to finish the day with a fantastic dinner at Restaurant du Vieux-Lausanne et Bar Giraf at Lausanne, walk around the city then take another train ride back to Montreux. In general I think Montreux is a more peaceful stay but Lausanne has much more dinning options.

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    24 March 2021 at 7:31:33 #934798

Itinerary is great and you are spending enough time

Purely my opinion- Jungfraujoch – too hyped, pricy, crowded. I should not have gone

Worth considering Bern.

If you have Swiss Travel Pass, it is worth taking boat cruise on all lakes. I just loved boat cruise

I do not know if time permits, only missing Lugano region

Lijianhughes
    Participant
    44 posts
    24 March 2021 at 7:36:27 #934799

You can avoid the crowds on the Jungfraujoch by

1) starting early, take the earliest train from Wengen, by the time you finish the trip around early afternoon time and on your way back, you’ll be shocked at the queueing scene going up.

2) taking an 1-hour hike from Jungfraujoch to the Mönchsjoch Hut, which is the base camp of Mönch. I went in the month of June and there’s almost no one up there. Take a break in the hut by having a special beer with the stunning view, it was awesome.

Swede4life
    Participant
    120 posts
    25 March 2021 at 18:39:25 #934800

I recommend that your Germany leg be spent in Garmish and you leave Rothenburg for another time. There is so much to see and do around Garmish; e.g. Zugspitze, Partnachklamm, Neuschwanstein, Linderhof castle, Munich, etc. Rothenburg city is our best visited Germany town having been there multiple times but you will spend 2 days getting there and back and seeing it. If you have a little extra time, go see Hitler’s Eagle’s Nest in Berchestgarten. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

• The thread ‘Ideas for a 2-week Swiss summer itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.