In & around Lucern

In & around Lucern

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
ravindersn
ravindersn
2 posts
May 22, 2015 - 7:51 AM

Hi,

We would be staying in Lucern for 3 days & would like some details as this our first trip about where do we go from lucern in these 3 days? Which Mountain excursions are possible?

Thanks.

Ravinders ingh

Arno
Arno
7718 posts
expert &
May 22, 2015 - 8:54 AM

Hi Ravinders,

Please see the Lucerne page: myswissalps.com/ lucerne/activities.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2652 posts
expert
May 23, 2015 - 12:51 AM in reply to ravindersn

<<"We would be staying in Lucern for 3 days & would like some details as this our first trip about where do we go from lucern in these 3 days?Which Mountain excursions are possible?">>

What are you rinterests?

Museums?

Mountain excursions?

Hiking?

Exploring the items of interest in the city of Luzern?

Lake boat excursions?

A comment about your interests would make it easier to offer suggestions.

ravindersn
ravindersn
2 posts
May 23, 2015 - 3:01 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Mountain excursions & local sightseeing only. Thanks.

Arno
Arno
7718 posts
expert &
May 23, 2015 - 10:51 AM

In that case you can find useful tips on the page I referred to earlier. A 3-day Tell Pass is worth your consideration.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2652 posts
expert
May 23, 2015 - 2:04 PM in reply to ravindersn

<<"Mountain excursions & local sightseeing only. Thanks.">>

Arno has pointed you to best first place to look.

Pilatus is close to Luzern, accessible by train or by lake boat, and is a really impressive cog rail ride. There are great views from up top, but not a whole lot of walking around space. Some restaurants/hotels.

I attached one very old photo taken going up to the top of Pilatus.

The Rigi is a much gentler mountain. More room to walk around, more hotels/restaurants at different locations, several different ways to go up and down. Also very nice views.

I remember my first visit to the top of the Rigi (Rigi Kulm) about 30 years ago. It was a kind of cloudy day, and I was at the top watching a sailplane appear and disappear as it flew around the mountain at alevel lower than my viewpoint.

I have not been to Titlis. It is a bit further away than Pilatus.

If a like boat ride interests you, there are various routes, so you can focus on the northern parts of the lake or ride from one end to another.

If I am taking a lake boat, i always pick up the printed schedule brochure and study the various criss-crossing route options, as well as which stops give me bus/train access back to Luzern.

The brochures are available at the ticket counters at the various stops, or from the very good tourist information office by track #1 in Luzern Main Station. (Hauptbahnhof). They can also offer sightseeing suggestions.

One which I and my family and friends have enjoyed is not far from the famous Lion of Luzern. I don't recall if this web site mentions it.

It is the Bourbaki Panorama.

www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/bourbaki-panorama-luzern-luzern.html

www.youtube.com/watch? v=qnQf8f_8rDk​

Please login to see the attached documents

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016