Is trip to Rhine falls recommended after 2:30 PM?

Is trip to Rhine falls recommended after 2:30 PM?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Aaliya
Aaliya
6 posts
Apr 29, 2017 - 8:37 AM

Hello,

I will be staying 3 nights in Grindelwald and 2 nights in Lucerne. (Sep. 2 - Sep 6).

I will be arriving in Zurich by train from Paris at 2:30 PM. Will I have enough time to visit Rhine Falls and return to Grindelwald the same day?

Or can i be able to take the Golden Pass line if I arrive in Lausanne at 3:40 PM?

Thanks

Last modified on Apr 29, 2017 - 9:02 AM by Aaliya
Annika
Annika
4836 posts
expert &
Apr 29, 2017 - 8:33 PM in reply to Aaliya

Hi Aaliya,

It's about 50 minutes by train from Zurich to the Rhine Falls, and a 3h30 trip from there to Grindelwald. So you if you're fine with a rather short visit and a late arrival in Grindewald, this can be done. Please consult myswissalps.com/rhinef alls/gettingthere and the timetable at myswissalps.com/timeta ble for details.

It's a bit late to catch a Golden Pass train with a 15:40 arrival in Lausanne, but it's doable. Enter the trip in the timetable and use "Montreux" and "Zweisimmen" as via-stations in order to get the right route. You'll be able to catch the 17h44 Golden Pass Panoramic train from Montreux to Zweisimmen. An hour earlier there's a regular regional train between Montreux and Zweisimmen (same route, same views, just a different train).

Aaliya
Aaliya
6 posts
Apr 30, 2017 - 12:44 PM

Thank you Annika

As I don't want to rush things, I'll do the Rhine falls trip on any other day. But i definitely want to catch a Golden Pass train.

I can take an earlier TGV and arrive Geneva at 12:15. I want to experience the Golden Pass scenic route on a panoramic train. What time of the Golden pass train I should opt? Is it also possible to visit Chillon castle?

Thanks again

Annika
Annika
4836 posts
expert &
Apr 30, 2017 - 8:10 PM in reply to Aaliya

Hi Aaliya,

An earlier arrival would be better indeed, especially if you want to visit the Chillon castle. You could spend a few hours at the castle (enter "Veytaux, chateaux de Chillon" in the timetable), and then travel up north using the Golden Pass route from Montreux. I think the 17h44 train is the last official Golden Pass train of the day, but as mentioned there are regular regional trains on the same route too. If you manage to catch an earlier train that's preferable, as you'll be able to travel the entire route in full daylight and to avoid a late arrival in Lucerne/Grindelwald (not sure where you're heading that day). The general timetable I mentioned and the link to the Golden Pass timetable at myswissalps.com/golden pass/gettingthere will be of help.

Aaliya
Aaliya
6 posts
May 1, 2017 - 2:33 PM in reply to Annika

This is very helpful. Thanks Annika

I will be staying in Grindelwald first. I'm planning on buying a Swiss half fare card.

1. Do I need reservation on Golden pass trains if I'm buying half fare tickets?

2. Can I buy tickets at Geneva station for the whole trip Geneva to Grindelwald via "Montreux" and "Zweisimmen" ?

3. If I buy my tickets in Geneva,can I take any train on that route? As I want to spend few hours in Montreux and take the 15:44 golden pass train.( I understand that if the seats are reserved I have to take that train )

appreciate your help

Lucas
Lucas
2093 posts
top member &
May 1, 2017 - 2:42 PM in reply to Aaliya

Hi Aaliya,

1. You don't have to make reservations on the Golden Pass - they are optional.
  2. Yes, you can enter the via stations on the ticket machines or use the SBB office if you have trouble.
  3. Yes,the ticket is ok for any train on the route that day, you buy unless you reserve the specific Golden Pass departure of course.

Lucas

Aaliya
Aaliya
6 posts
May 2, 2017 - 5:10 PM

Thank you Lucas, This clarifies all my doubts.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017