Itinerary advice 2 adults & 13 yr/old August 18-26

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2016 at 7:55:11 #809379

Hi all,

My wife, my daughter aged 13 and I are visiting Switzerland from 18 th August to 26 August. Our detailed itinerary with some costs information is given below. For all forms of transportation, we’re planning to take 2nd class seats. We are basically contemplating whether to get the 8-day Swiss pass or the 1 month Half Fare pass. I also need advise on whether I would have time to do all the things I have mentioned in the itinerary . I have mentioned a few of the costs that I could come up with, rest of the costs I am still researching.

Day 1: 18th August

1. Schaffhausen to visit the Rhine Falls,

2. Black forest, Cuckoo clock

Stay at Schaffhausen

Day 2:19th August

Mount Titlis by the ROTAIR

2.Lion Monument and Kapell brucke the wooden bridge

Visit Glacier garden & Mirror maze on our own, if possible

4.Orientation of Lucerne

Stay at Lucerne

The above two days are with a group tour and cannot be changed.

Day 3:20th August

Visit Mount Pilatus

Lucerne – Alpnachstad – Pilatus Kulm – Kriens – Lucerne – ½ day trip

I believe the Lucerne – Alpnachstad & return journey by train/cruise is covered by the Swiss pass.

And the Alpnacstad to Pilatus Kulm costs about CHF 72 for Adults and CHF 36 for child – half fare pass will give 50% off for adults as per SBB site

Visit Swiss Museum of Transport -Scavenger hunt – Captain coop and Lexi app, in the second half – Timings – 10am to 6pm – CHF 155 for Family.

Day 4: 21st August

Lucerne – Interlaken morning Check in at hotel.Journey covered under the swiss pass.

1..Travel to Schilthorn

Go up Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Stechelberg – Murren sit on the right side

Come down Murren – Grütschalp – Lauterbrunnen – Interlaken

Is this journey covered under Swiss pass/ Half pass?

From Murren till Schilthorn is the Swiss pass/ Half pass valid? And what is the cost?

Spend some time in Murren on the way down – visit the Murren town which features a view of the three towering mountains: Eiger, Mönch, and Jungfrau and also visit Schiltalp Hut for seeing traditional cheese making.

Is this all possible in one day?

Stay in Interlaken

Day 5:22nd August

1. Interlaken Ost via Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch, and back via Lauterbrunnen in the first half

Visit Grindelwald on the way up sit on the right while going

Also on the way back visit Trummellbach falls, Lauterbrunnen

Visit hours 8.30am until 18.00pm Adults CHF. 11.-children CHF. 4

Is this journey covered under Swiss pass/ Half pass?

Day 6:23rd August

Swiss open air museun in Ballenberg 10 am to 5 pm daily Family 54 CHF

Gelmer Funicular – 09h00 a.m. – 05h00 p.m. – July, AugustTel+41 33 982 26 60 Adults return journey CHF 32.- | one way CHF 16.- Children (6 – 16)return journey CHF 12.- | one way CHF 6.- With SwissPass15% Discount

Funky Chocolate club switzerland – chocolate making class

Daily 10.00 AM – 2.00 PM – 4.00 PM – 6.00 PM with Reservation only – Price: 65CHF Adults / 59CHF Kids (3 – 14 years old)60 min, allow yourself 75 min for the whole trip.

Stay at Interlaken

Day 7:24th August

Interlaken to Berne

Visit the clock tower, Parliament, buildings, Gothic fountains, and bern bear park.

Berne to Geneva

Jet d’ Eau – the tallest fountain in Europe (weather permitting), rising to a height of 400 – 500 ft

the United Nations building from inside,

the floral clock at the English gardens celebrating Genevas watch industry

the International Red Cross building.

Conservatory and Botanical garden

Grange park

Geneva to Lausanne

Chillon castle

Vevey, home of Charlie Chaplin

IOC

Geneva to Interlaken

Stay at Interlaken

All above travel is covered under Swiss pass/ half pass

Is the above itinerary possible?

Day 8:25th August

Travel from Interlaken to Zurich covered under Swiss pass

Bahnhofstrasse for shopping

Zurich Zoo

Fondue tram – 2hours

Cruise on River Limmat

Chocolate Frey visitors center In Buchs

Stay in Zurich

Day 9:26th August : Travel back from Zurich airport

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 June 2016 at 11:07:49 #852706

Hi Iyerravi, welcome to MySwissAlps!

At first glance it seems you are trying to do way too much during some of your days (day 6, 7 and 8 for example). I’d recommend to check the timetable for traveling times, study a map, and make sure you have enough time at each location to enjoy it. There’s no problem in having a long wish list so you can choose what to do, based on the weather for instance, but you can’t actually visit all on your list. Please see:

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 June 2016 at 21:48:43 #852707

Hi Lyerravi-

I agree with Arno. ( Almost always do….;-)

I have not worked your itinerary in detail, just skimmed it, but day 7 immediately struck me as close to impossible. My impression is that you are trying to go to too many places, rather than enjoy reasonable number of places.

At this point, I’m not sure what I would cut back…maybe Geneva?….but I’d definitely spend time with the timetable and the map (s) that Arno linked you to..

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Itinerary advice 2 adults & 13 yr/old August 18-26’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.