Itinerary advice for 8 days in Zurich/Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2017 at 19:39:56 #812269

HI,

We will be visiting Switzerland between 20th-29th June 2017.

As we are travelling with a 11 month infant, making an itinerary was a little difficult, as we are unaware of the weather conditions in Switzerland. All these forums have been extremely helpful and I have made a tentative itinerary (as below). Kindly opine if this is fine for a relatively relaxed tour with a child. Can we add something/ should we delete anything listed (for the fear of being risky for an infant?)

The itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 : Arrive in Zurich : 1230 hrs

After checking in, explore nearby areas, visit supermarket and store some food, Late evening : Are there any night boat trips/ city tours?

Day 2 : Visit Rhine Falls

Day 3 : Busy till 3 PM (Going to Zurich for some work), Evening in Zurich : Is a city tour feasible?

Day 4 : In Zurich till 12 PM, Reach Lucerne – Check in 3 PM,Visit Lucerne Chapel Bridge/ Inseli Park/ Jesuit Church/ Lion Monument

Day 5 : Trip to Rigi

Day 6 : Take golden pass route to Interlaken via the Brunig Pass, proceed to Lauterbrunnen (What can we do in Lauterbrunnen? Can we visit Schilthorn?) –Return back to Lucerne

Day 7 : Lake Lucerne/ City tour

Day 8 : Mount Pilatus – The weather forcast ( 27Th June 2017 ) says sunny with scattered thunderstorms.. Will the weather be too Harsh?

Day 9 : Return back to Zurich from where fly back home

We plan to buy a 8-day swiss travel pass and use it for for day excursions and boat/train trips.

We are a couple in 30s and an infant aged 11 months. Our interests would be site seeing (should it be more inside the train or outside?) and farm/ boat tours.

Thanks

M

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    15 June 2017 at 18:04:40 #865136

Hi Mickey, welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think most of your plans look fine. I’d be a bit hesitant to plan evening tours with an infant though. There are options, such as restaurant cruises on Lake Zurich (please find details through the links at myswissalps.com/boatla kezurich) and afternoon city tours, either self-planned or guided (see myswissalps.com/zurich /activities).

Day 6 is long but doable. You’d best check traveling times using the timetable. As for Schilthorn: special precautions apply when taking a child under 2 years old up to such heights. You can read about it at our Schiltorn page. Alternatively, an easy walk such as Grütschalp-Mürren or Lauterbrunnen-Stechelberg can be very enjoyable. A visit to the Trümmelbach Falls is another option, especially if weather isn’t that great.

Forecasts for June 27 really aren’t reliable yet. Forecasts only start to become reliable a few days in advance; please see myswissalps.com/weathe r. If it’s too cloudy to enjoy the views from Pilatus, the Museum of Transport in Lucerne might be a fun alternative, or a boat trip over the lake.

The 8 day Swiss Travel Pass seems to suit your plans well. Purchase options are listed at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 June 2017 at 2:04:05 #865137

Hi Mickey.

You can stay in Luzern and make the one hour or less commute to Zürich on the day that you have to work there.

I’d skip the Rhine Falls, but that is a personal opinion, based on the fact that there are a lot of waterfalls all around the globe. I have seen a few. The Rhine Falls are powerful, but not very high.

Those falls are nice, but, why not do something unique to Switzerland?

The waterfalls near Lauterbrunnen are beautiful.

Go to Luzern at the start of your trip and ride the lake boats. That is what I would do.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2017 at 16:38:07 #865138

Hi Micky,

Agreed with slowpoke, better to stay in Lucerne than in Zurich.

Not advisable to visit Schilthorn and Trümmelbach Falls with the infant.

You can do the following from Lucerne.

1. Boat trip on Lake Luzerne and combine with the trip to Mt Rigi

2. Mt Pilatus trip

3. Day trip to Lauterbrunnen and Murren, very beautiful villages and valleys. There are water falls.

4. Lucerne town visit

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 June 2017 at 16:46:58 #865139

Hi Ravi-

The day trip to Lauterbrunnen and Mürren is long, but not as long as the trip all the way to the Jungfraujoch. That last leg is very slow., so visiting Lauterbrunnen and Mürrren or Wengen is more tolerable.

I feel that the best part of the lake boat rides on Lake Lucerne is the section at the far southern end.

Although this thread (following) is focused on hiking, there are a lot of pictures of the southern part of the lake, the so-called Urnersee.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

If i am not hiking, I like to take a train to Flüelen and ride the boat northward from there. I either get off at Brunnen and take the train back to Luzern, or ride the boat all the way to Luzern.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Itinerary advice for 8 days in Zurich/Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.