Itinerary help for September, 2015

Itinerary help for September, 2015

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
rhynehart
rhynehart
5 posts
Jun 5, 2015 - 1:52 PM

My husband and I are planning a hiking/sightseeing trip for September and am wondering about our itinerary, specifically if we should switch our week in Berner Oberland to be there earlier in September. AM wondering if the weather in mid September will be less desirable.

1. Sept 1-2: Zurich

2. Sept. 3-6: Lucern area

3. Sept 7-11: St. Moritz area (Bernina Express)

4. Sept 12-15: Zermatt area (Glacier Express)

5. Sept. 16-22: Berner Oberland area with either Wengen or Lauterbrunnen as base.

6. Sept 23-25: Montreux area (Golden Pass)

I appreciate your thoughts!

Annika
Annika
4417 posts
expert &
Jun 6, 2015 - 4:07 PM

Welcome to MySwissAlps, rhynehart! Great that you get to spend almost a month in Switzerland.

Your itinerary looks fine and the order of regions/base towns makes sense this way. It's hard to tell whether you're better off visiting the Bernese Oberland in early instead of mid to late September, weather-wise. Generally chances of rain will gradually decrease during September, but average temperatures will go down. And chances of snow at higher altitudes will slightly increase, although it's not common to find hiking trails inaccessible due to snow in September. In all, September is a pretty good month in terms of weather, and to be honest it's a big gamble anyhow. Statistics won't tell how weather circumstances will turn out once you're there; it's simply unpredictable. So I wouldn't change this itinerary if I were you; you can stick to this plan and find some bad weather alternatives for each region.

rhynehart
rhynehart
5 posts
Jun 6, 2015 - 8:18 PM in reply to Annika

Thank you Annika! We are looking forward to visiting your beautiful country.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016