Itinerary, rail tips for travel in May, June 2011

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2011 at 12:15:22 #804175

Hi,

This forum has been excellent in guiding the uninitiated people like us in planning the perfect swiss holiday.

The more research I do, the more confused I am and am hoping this forum will facilitate my planning.

Here goes.

The travel dates I have in mind are from 29th May, 2011 to 6th June, 2011. Travel group is a family of four (2 adults, 2 children – ages 7 and 11)

1. We are planning to land in Geneva on 29th morning. Thinking of a half day tour in Geneva if feasible. Travel to Montreaux on 29th night. Is there any way we can leave our luggage for half a day at the train station while we roam around the place?
    2. Chocolate train ride on 30th morning. Spend the night in Montreaux. Can you please let us know how to get the tickets for the chocolate train?
    3. On 31st, take the golden pass line from Montreaux to Interlaken. A dinner cruise in Interlaken in the evening….Can you tell us how to book tickets for that too?
    4. 1st June, take the tour to Jungfrau from Interlaken. Spend the night in Interlaken
    5. Depart from Interlaken to Lucerne on 2nd June, continuing on the golden pass line. Spend the night in Lucerne. Is there a good way to spend the evening in Lucerne?
    6. Having covered Jungfrau, would you recommend Mt. Titlis or Mt. Pilatus from Lucerne on 3rd June? Spend the night in Lucerne. End golden pass line journey.
    7. On 4th June, depart for Zurich.
    8. On 5th June, visit Rhine falls. Spend the night in Zurich. Is there anything more worthwhile to see in and around Zurich instead of Rhine falls.
    9. Depart from Zurich on 6th morning.

To summarize ( 2 nights in Montreaux, 2 nights in Interlaken, 2 in Lucerne ).

Please feel free to suggest changes to the above itinerary. Now the additional questions

Q1. What are the rail pass options that are most optimal?
    Q2. Can I ride on the golden pass panaromic line with the Swiss saver pass?
    Q3. For 2 adults and 2 kids, how many Swiss saver passes do I need?

Many thanks. Appreciate your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 March 2011 at 16:37:30 #832354

Hi vanijo,

I’m glad this forum helps you to prepare for Switzerland. Thanks for your compliments! I’ll try to answer your remaining questions:

You would need one 8-day Swiss Saver Pass for 2 adults. Your children travel along for free with the free Swiss Family Card. The pass would be valid from May 29 to June 5, which is fine as you only need to travel to the airport on June 6. There are even airport hotels with free transfers to the airport. The Swiss Saver Pass is valid on the Golden Pass route. All details, including a map showing the area of validity and purchase options, can be found on the Swiss Pass page.

Most larger rail stations have luggage departments or lockers. Please see the website of the Swiss federal railways for details. For the Chocolate Train and other seat reservations, please refer to the seat reservation page. For cruises around Interlaken, please refer to the website of the BLS.

I would prefer the Pilatus over the Titlis if you’ve already visited the Jungfrau. They are really different, and the Pilatus is closer to Lucerne as well.

The Rhine falls are about an hour traveling from Zurich. There’s a lot to see and to do in Zurich itself: lake cruise, museums, botanical garden, viewing points, shopping… Zuerich.com is a good start.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2011 at 1:12:01 #832355

Hi Arno,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. It clears a lot of doubts. The few remaining are :

1. Are you sure about just one Swiss saver pass? I ask this because, I had tried to avail your ‘free upgrade to first class’ offer. And I could not place the order until I selected 2 people. So, what finally happened was that the swiss saver pass said approx Rs. 15000, but I had to pay Rs. 30000.

2. The information that you have provided about Swiss pass says that “The Swiss Pass is valid for nearly all trains, including special trains such as the Glacier Express, Bernina Express, Heidi Express and Mont Blanc Express”. Is the Golden pass line included here? What is it called?

Thanks for all the information about train station lockers as well as clearing the doubts about Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Titlis. I think we are very close to deciding the final itinerary…and am feeling real good about that!

Thanks again, appreciate all the help.

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 March 2011 at 2:43:11 #832356

Hi vanijo,

1. Yes, it’s exactly as you describe. You need to order for 2 adults. You will receive one pass to travel together. The free upgrade to 1st class costs indeed Rs 15,017 per person. That’s what a 2nd class pass costs normally.
    2. Actually, the names of the trains are not important. You should just check the map I talked about earlier and see whether your route is included. The Golden Pass (Montreux – Spiez – Interlaken – Meiringen – Lucerne) is included. You can just board any train with your pass. The only thing to watch out for is if a train requires seat reservations. If so, you need to arrange for that.

Have fun planning your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2011 at 5:34:28 #832357

Hey! Thanks for all the tips! One last (hopefully 🙂 ) question!

Is the Golden Pass Line the same as the PANORAMIC trains? If that is true, then my swiss pass would also be good on the panoramic trains from Montreux to Interlaken and Interlaken to Lucerne too…right? Also, would these panoramic trains require reservations? If so, where can we get these reservations done?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2011 at 5:34:59 #832358

Thanks a lot in advance, forgot to mention in the last post…

vanijo

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 March 2011 at 5:49:50 #832359

Hi vanijo, you’re welcome! The Golden Pass Line is the route Montreux – Interlaken – Lucerne. There are regular trains running there (fully covered by the Swiss Pass), as well as panoramic trains which may require reservations (you only need to pay for the seat reservation if you have a Swiss Pass). Please check the timetable to see when and where they are scheduled. Please read the seat reservation page I mentioned for more information about panoramic trains and booking them.

• The thread ‘Itinerary, rail tips for travel in May, June 2011’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.