Jungfraujoch – best value tickets

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2015 at 20:00:50 #807683

We’re planning our trip to the Jungfrau region in a couple of weeks time. We will be staying in Wengen. We have already bought a Swiss Half Fare card and are considering which pass to get for the 13 days which we are there. Whilst we are in Wengen, we would like to take a trip up to Jungfraujoch. Reading the Lonely Planet guide (2013), they describe a couple of more econmical tickets for Jungfraujoch:

i ) Good morning return ticket 6.30am train from interlaken & leave from noon. Sfr 140.

ii) 8am Excursion Fare train from Kleine Scheidegg, Good morning return ticket Sfr 90.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of these Good morning tickets?

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 August 2015 at 20:19:55 #844988

Hi debflint,

Your Swiss Half Fard Card provides 50% off of all tickets, so I would not think you need an additional pass. You don’t need Good Morning Tickets either as they’re more expensive than a regular ticket with the 50% discount. Let me know if I did not understand your question correctly!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2015 at 20:25:50 #844989

Thanks for the quick response and for the advice re the passes. We had read that the Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch journey was not included in the Half Fare Card?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2015 at 22:43:31 #844990

We too are in the exact situation coming in 3 weeks and have the half price card, so I was wondering the same. I also read we don’t need reservations, though I did make them for the glacier express.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 August 2015 at 8:58:11 #844991

Hi debflint and Patbrogan,

Everything included (discounted) in the Swiss Half Fare Card can be found on myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard/ validity. Jungfraujoch is included as well. Where did you read it’s not included?

You don’t need reservations (see here), but you do need them for the Glacier Express (see here).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2015 at 13:51:04 #844992

Staying on this topic

If I buy a round ticket for Jungraujoch from Interlaken Ost, using a half fare card, do I have to enter the specific timings I want to travel on, and then stick with it? Or are the tickets bought using the half fare good for the day? Similarly if I purchase the ticket for an onward journey from Interlaken to (say) Lucerne, do I have to purchase it for a specific time or can I be flexible with it?

Thanks,

Vidhu

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 August 2015 at 14:10:04 #844993

Hi Vidhu,

You don’t need to specify a time. Tickets are valid for the day, unless:

• you buy an additional seat reservation, which is for one specific train;
    • you buy a ticket for a region using a zone system. Single tickets are valid for a few hours in such a case.

None of the above applies to your examples.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2015 at 17:10:07 #844994

Thank you for the response, Arno. Also, breaking the trip is allowed? Again for example, if I buy a ticket to Jungfraujoch from Spiez, but want to spend an hour (or more) in Interlaken before departing to Jungfraujoch then is that allowed?

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 August 2015 at 17:48:25 #844995

Yes, that’s allowed, no problem.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2015 at 20:02:02 #844996

Thanks for the information. The map of validity wasn’t clear with lots of dotted lines so it looked like jungfraujoch wasn’t included. Your link to your page really helps to clarify. I’m so glad I found this forum & website. Many thanks for keeping it going!

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch – best value tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.