Last known trail condition Via Alpina

• Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    19 May 2017 at 15:37:42 #811890

I had ruled out the portion of the trail to kandersteg as many of the trail reports indicated some signage was missing and the trail was pretty washed out around the scree slope; also have the stairs been replaced along the trail does anyone know? I realize it is too early in the season for a report this year but last reports I have seen were from last summer. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    20 May 2017 at 16:38:19 #863588

Are you talking about the route over the Bundenchrinde?

Probably the reason the last reports you have seen for this, Sefinenfurge and Höhturli is because these passes close in the fall (often around early October) and are not yet re-opened. And whatever damage occurred likely happened over the winter. So likely very few, if any, hikers have been over those ways yet.

When are you going? These routes usually open sometime in July.

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    20 May 2017 at 20:29:15 #863589

In august. The last reports I read were from last august. My plans are flexible, since I am backpacking I can change plans as I go right now I have 5 nights camping at camping jungfrau as a base for day hikes; originally I was going to hike to kandersteg over a couple days but the reports of washed out steps, signage loss, and scree field deterioration has deterred me, so I switched to the day hikes but of coarse that can change on a whim. I often leave paid campsites early if opportunities for better adventure presents itself.

• The thread ‘Last known trail condition Via Alpina’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.