Accommodation along Via Alpina Ulrichen - Vernayaz

Accommodation along Via Alpina Ulrichen - Vernayaz

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Erhan
Erhan
2 posts
Aug 10, 2012 - 12:06 PM
Greetings all. I have an upcoming trip to Switzerland for a backpacking trip (September 10th-22nd). I am thinking of doing the R94 to R107 stages of via-alpina red trails. This is from Ulrichen to Vernayaz (I think it is in the Wallis area). If I can't do it (physically), I'll cut it short.

I haven't been to Switzerland (or europe) before. So I have many questions:

1. I'm planning to camp more than half the time to save on accommodation cost. I couldn't find too much info on this, is camping allowed? I'm planning to camp at/around the towns/villages that the stages pass.
2. I will be staying in a hut every other night. Can I assume there will be shower?
3. Can I buy just (hot) food from the huts without staying in?
4. Is there access to electricity in the huts so that I can charge my batteries?
5. What about internet (wifi, I will be carrying my iPad)?
6. Do people in the towns/villages speak English?
7. Can I find a topo map with via-alpine route marked on it?
8. Should I carry Euro or CHF?

Thanks in advance!
kim11
kim11
320 posts
top member
Aug 11, 2012 - 11:39 AM
Hi Ehran,

Answers to some of your questions:

1. Camping is typically only allowed in designated campgrounds. Most all land is privately owned therefore you can't just put your tent down anywhere.
2. Depends entirely on the hut, but usually no showers. Some don't even have electricity.
3. Usually, yes.
4. Usually not
5. Not in huts. Sometimes small villages have an internet cafe or, more often, a tourist office or bar where you can get internet access for a fee.
6. Mostly yes, sometimes not in remote huts
7. Routes in German-speaking part of Switzerland are well-marked. Not so well-marked in French-speaking part of the country. You can buy topo maps in all small villages
8. CHF, particularly in remote areas. For those that do take Euros you will get a very unfavorable exchange rate and always get change in CHF. Also, they will only take bills, not coins.
Erhan
Erhan
2 posts
Aug 11, 2012 - 8:31 PM
Kim,

Thank you very much for your response. Seems like I should not carry my tent and save some area and weight.

Are there places other than huts where I can take a shower and charge my batteries?

Thanks again.

-erhan
kim11
kim11
320 posts
top member
Aug 13, 2012 - 2:45 PM
Look into youth hostels for lodging, etc along your route. The swiss hostels are a major cut above anywhere else. Clean, safe, they all have showers (shared) and electricity. You can do google searches based on your village end points each day.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016