My trip to Swiss in Jun and your recommendation

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page

Save 20% on Swiss scenic trains

Get a 20% discount on seat reservations for Swiss scenic trains!
www.raileurope.com/promotions/swiss-scenic-trains-deal.html

Create an account to receive an email when someone replies to this topic
jasonkao0805
jasonkao0805
3 posts
Mar 14, 2011 - 4:59 AM
Hi there,
Fyi, we (four adults) plan to visit Lausanne and Zermatt in Jun and leave for Venice afterwards. Pls refer to below itinerary of my plan
May/29 Take Lyria from Paris to Lausanne (sightseeing 5 hrs in Lausanne)
Rail from Lausanne Zermatt
May/30 Stay in Zermatt
May/31 Leave for Venice, Italy by Cisalpino
My question is
1. Is there Euro rail (two contries) passport svc for Swiss and Italy
2. If I plan to but Swiss Half fare card, do four of us all need to buy or we can simply buy one for four people. Also, is the half fare card applicable to the Cisalpion train to venice.
3. I will arrive Brig after 1800 and I don’t know if the rail ticket office is still open at 1800. In swiss, can I buy the ticket from Brig to Venice at Lausanne rail station or I can only buy the ticket at Brig rail sation.
If you have any good recommenation, it will be very appreciated. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Brgds,
Jason
Annika (moderator)
Annika
2576 posts
Mar 14, 2011 - 3:41 PM
Hello Jason! There's no combined Eurail pass for both Switzerland and Italy. There are separate passes though, such as the Eurail Italy Pass, and a number rail passes for Switzerland.

A Swiss Half Fare Card would indeed be the best choice for your trips in Switzerland. One Swiss Half Fare Card should be purchased per adult. So four passes have to be ordered if your travel party consists of four adults. If children under 16 travel along with their parents, they can do so for free if you order a free STS Family Card along with your Swiss Half Fare Card.

At the Swiss Half Fare Card page, you'll find a link to a map showing the exact area of validity. When travelling to Venice, the Swiss leg of the trip up to Domodossola will be covered (meaning: 50% discounted). Separate tickets should be purchased for the remaining part of the trip, unless of course you have a (Eurail) pass allowing you to travel for free in Italy. The timetable will help you search for connections.

Tickets for the trip to Venice can most probably be bought at the Lausanne railway station as well. Opening hours of the Brig railway station can be found on the SBB website.
jasonkao0805
jasonkao0805
3 posts
Mar 14, 2011 - 9:24 PM
Hi Annika,

Thanks for your detailed advice. If I bought Euro rail Italy Pass and Swiss Half fare card, on my way from Brig to Venice, I plan to take Cisalpino (direct train). How do i chop my eurorail Italy Pass on Cisalpino? As far as i know, I need to chop my eurorail before stating to use it, right?

Jason
Annika (moderator)
Annika
2576 posts
Mar 15, 2011 - 1:26 AM
Hi Jason,

You need to have a valid ticket or pass when you board the train. You cannot purchase it on board. Eurail passes should be purchased online in advance. They are being sold in Europe from a few places only (I don't know where exactly) and prices are about 20% higher there.
jasonkao0805
jasonkao0805
3 posts
Mar 16, 2011 - 8:39 AM
Hi Annika,

Thanks for your advice. I will purchase the Italy Eurail pass in advacne but my question is that can i validate my Italy Eurail pass at Brig rail station or i need to validate in the boarder of Italy if i take Cisalpino from Brig to Venice.

Jason
Annika (moderator)
Annika
2576 posts
Mar 16, 2011 - 2:46 PM
Hi Jason,

I know that Swiss rail passes can be validated at any manned Swiss station or on board of international trains bound for Switzerland. I assume you can validate an Italian rail pass on board of the international train bound for Italy. But I would recommend to ask for validation at the station where you board that train (Brig), and have on board validation as your backup option.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel experts create a free customized itinerary for you. If you like their suggestion they can arrange for your trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2014