Need advice on traveling from 21-30 May 2011

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2011 at 2:14:31 #804186

Hi there, I have been reading a number of comments from the experts on this forum and really appreciate everyones comments and insight. It would be great if I can get some feedback on my trip – Details are below –

Here are the key features of my trip –
    1. Travel date: 21-30 May 2011 (Flight booked)
    2. Travel group : 5 adults + 1 child (7)
    3. Stay – first 7 nights in Luzern (already booked) and 2 nights in Grindelwald (booking not done)
    4. Plan to do individual day trips from Luzern to Lugano, Engerberg, Zurich, Bern, Zermatt, Lausanne

Queries –
    1. Our main aim in visiting switzerland was to enjoy the scenic beauty which includes greenery, flowers, etc? Will we be able to see that considering its end may for the places that we have planned? I am not sure of this as i keep on hearing that it might be mud month at that time and not sure if our trip will be a waste because of that.

2. A number of day trips involve 2-3 hrs train time each way. How does that work? Isnt that a lot of time spend in a train every day? I have heard conflicting opinions where some didnt mind while some did.

3. How is the overall initenary? Anything i should be doing differently?

4. Is staying in Gindelwald at that specific time, going to provide a swiss-alps experience?

Thanks in advance for all the help,
    Prit

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    30 March 2011 at 11:56:48 #832419

Hello Prit, and welcome to the forum! As for your questions:

1) May and June are excellent months if you’re looking for fresh green scenery and (mountain) flowers. Weather circumstances can not be predicted at all. There have been years with great (summer) weather in May and there have been years with the exact opposite, so it’s hard to say what next May will be like. At higher altitudes, you may still find (melting) snow resulting in mud, but if alpine hikes aren’t your main goal, this shouldn’t be a problem. Personally I would even prefer May over July or August, as it’s more quiet and the scenery is beautiful, with still a bit more snow left on the mountain tops than in summer.

2) and 3) You’ve planned some very long trips from Lucerne. The trips to Engelberg and Zurich are relatively short, but especially those to Lugano, Zermatt and Lausanne require long travelling times. The timetable will give exact travel schemes, helping you to find out how much time you’ll be spending in the train. If you’d be doing all these trips, another disadvantage would be that you’re not able to fully explore the beautiful surroundings of Lucerne, which has lots to offer. My advice would be to pick one or two bases and explore these regions, making only a few longer day trips. But you’re right: that’s only one opinion. If it’s important to you to get a (quick) impression of many Swiss regions, and if you don’t mind travelling a lot, your itinerary is fine. By the way, train travel in Switzerland generally is easy and relaxing, and offers great views along the way.

4) Yes, Grindelwald is situated at the foot of an impressive mountain range and offers wonderful views from the village. Although some might find it touristy, the location is great, and it won’t be that crowded in May yet.

Does this answer some questions?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2011 at 3:12:40 #832420

Thanks for the reply, Arno. Like your perspective as the answers are always dependent upon a perspective.

1. We aren’t looking to do any hike in alpne region – might do some walk around at lower altitude during our stay in Grindelwald.

2. and 3. Agree with your comments. I am concerned a bit about long train travel. That said, my group is fine with being able to see more of switzerland as its a first trip for all of us. I could maybe not do Zermatt and use that day to see more of luzern area.

4. Had the eternal question which is Lauterbrunnen or Gridelwald. My only concern with Lauterbrunnen was related to rains. if thats something that I should not worry about then i might stay there. What do you suggest? Also, would it make sense not to stay in swiss alps but stay in laussane region. Any thoughts here. I do plan to visit France in future so do feel that staying in swiss-alps is the right thing to do. Do provide your thoughts.

Cheers,
    Prit

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    31 March 2011 at 3:29:42 #832421

Hello Prit,

About 4: Lauterbrunnen has a railway station and so does Grindelwald. I would prefer staying in Lauterbrunnen because it’s situated a bit more central. Grindelwald isn’t bad too… so there you go, no answer of any use ;-).
    If I were you I would always choose to stay in the Swiss Alps. The views are overwhelming, small and difficult hikes are possible, there are cog railways and gondolas, you will love it.

Good luck and enjoy you trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2011 at 4:28:35 #832422

Hello Olga- Thanks for your view. I like your answer. My only concern is the weather and hence the thought of being somewhere where the weather might be decent. That said, no point in going to Switzerland w/o experiencing swiss alps. How bad will the weather be? What should i expect from a worst case scenario?

Cheers,
    Prit

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    31 March 2011 at 5:48:42 #832423

Hello Prit,

All questions about weather are hard to answer. In Switzerland one never knows. The best scenario is blue skies and sun, the worst is rain all day during you whole stay, but the chance that will happen is not big. We have been in Switzerland for almost 30 times now and we’ve never had an all-rainy vacation. This, however, guarantees nothing but may give a little hope…

And really, you don’t want to miss the Alps!!

🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2011 at 6:19:23 #832424

Thanks Olga.

Any special recommendations for a 2 night stay in lauterbrunnem? We are on a budget and are looking for an apartment around 250-300 chf in total for a 2 nights stay for 5 people.

Cheers,
    Prit

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    31 March 2011 at 14:20:27 #832425

You’re welcome, Prit. I’m sorry, but I don’t know much about apartments in Lauterbrunnen. Maybe this link can get you started?

Lots of success and I really hope you will find a nice place to stay!

• The thread ‘Need advice on traveling from 21-30 May 2011’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.