Not sure which rail pass to use for our 7 day trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2011 at 16:57:05 #804515

Hello! I have looked at several threads, but I’m still not sure which rail pass would work best for my wife and I for our upcoming trip to Switzerland. Could you give me your advice?

This is our itinerary:

Aug 27 – Arrive Zurich take train and then gondola to Murren
    Aug 27 to Sept 1 – Stay in Murren and explore Berner Oberland. We plan on taking hikes around the Murren area as well as the Kleine Sheidegg. We are definitely going up the Schilthorn and possibly the Jungfrau.
    Sep 1 to 3 – Visit Lucerne. Take a boat ride and possibly Mt Pilatis.
    Sep 3 – Leave Zurich from Lucerne and fly home

I have done some research and am not sure if the 3 day saver flexipass or Swiss half fare pass is better. Or should I get a regional pass? Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Toby

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 July 2011 at 10:18:32 #833583

Hi Toby,

Welcome here! Yes, there are plenty of passes to choose from 😉 I would not take a regional pass in your case, as you travel across multiple regions. I recommend the Swiss Half Fare Card as you are mainly doing short trips. You can calculate exactly if you want, but I expect this to be the outcome.

The only alternative to consider is an 8-day Swiss Saver Pass. It’s more convenient as it includes all regular trains, boats and buses, so you can just hop on without buying tickets. You would just buy reduced tickets for your mountain excursions such as the Jungfrau and Pilatus.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2011 at 19:42:20 #833584

Thank you for your quick reply. Since that works on the Jungfrau, Schilthorn and Pilatus, sounds like that is the one for us! Thanks again.

• The thread ‘Not sure which rail pass to use for our 7 day trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.