One month Half-price card with Family Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2011 at 17:20:59 #804088

I am planning a trip to Switzerland with family. Am I able to purchase the monthly 1/2 price discount pass AND the Family Card in Zurich (ideally Kloten / Flughafen, but could be Zurich HB)? I’ve seen some posts on other sites which mention the 1/2 price card for tourists but not the Family card. Other than a passport do I need to provide the counter agent with any other information or photos?

I will travel with my wife and two daughters, 13 and 9 years old – their first time in Switzerland. We will take occasional day trips from Zurich.

Kindly be clear about the availability of the Family card in Switzerland in your reply. Many thanks in advance for your time and help.

Regards,
    (Auslandschweizer in Texas)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7094 posts
    10 January 2011 at 15:12:31 #832090

Hello voit1! Yes, you can purchase your Swiss Family Card along with your Swiss Half Fare Card at the Zurich Airport railway station. Please note that the Swiss Half Fare Card (and other passes of the Swiss Travel System) are only available for non-Swiss residents, so you’ll have to show that you’re now a resident of the USA. I assume this is stated on your passport. If not, other documents should be provided. Your children should either have their own passports, or be mentioned at the parents’ passports. Photos, apart from the one on your passport, aren’t necessary.

I hope this answers your question. Have a wonderful stay in your native country!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2011 at 16:32:48 #832091

How do I find the cost of the cog rail or gondola? I plan a holiday to Lucerne in early February.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2011 at 20:22:49 #832092

Annika – Many thanks for your thorough and quick reply. I wish the SBB web site were more clear on these points – fortunately, I found your helpful web site and forum. My dad is a native Swiss from Zurich and I was born in Texas. Thanks to Swiss law I was able to beome a dual citizen (three if you count Texas – just kidding). I am very happy that I am able to pass Swiss citizenship on to my daughters. Talk about a gift that keeps on giving!

Thank you once again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2011 at 21:04:59 #832093

nankelleher –
    Are you looking for the Pilatus or Rigi? Both are nice. Pilatus is more “mountainy”, Rigi more connected to the lakes.
    I was looking at the same for my trip in April with family.

For Pilatus, I believe only the aerial tram from Kriens is open year round. The Cog wheel train opens in late Spring / Summer. http://www.pilatus.ch/content-n147-sE.html

For Rigi – http://www.rigi.ch/en/navpage.cfm?category=TariffsRIGI&subcat=TariffsSummerRIGI

…Hat der Pilatus einen Hut, dann wird das Wetter gut…

• The thread ‘One month Half-price card with Family Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.