Planning a hike in the Lauterbrunnen valley

Planning a hike in the Lauterbrunnen valley

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Iskander
Iskander
11 posts
Jul 21, 2016 - 3:25 PM

Hello, we are planning a hike in the Lauterbrunnen valley. We will start from Lauterbrunnen, walk to Trummlbachfall, then continue to Steichelberg. I understood that we can take a cable car to Schilthornn from the Steichelberg. We will have the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland. I have the following questions:

1) Is it feasible to do in one day (including hiking back to Lauterbrunnen where we will leave our car)?

2) In case is not: can we save some time by taking train from Steichelberg back to Lauterbrunnen? I understand there is one.

3) Does the Regional Pass covers the cable car to Schilthorn?

Thank you, Alexander

Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
Jul 21, 2016 - 4:33 PM

Hi Iskander, welcome to MySwissAlps!

1) 2) There is no train in Stechelberg. You can take the cable car from the Schilthorn back to Mürren, then walk to Grütschalp or take the train, then take the cable car down to Lauterbrunnen. All of this easily fits in a day. The details are here:

3) It's free until Mürren, the rest of it is 50% off. Please see the map: myswissalps.com/ regionalpassberneseobe rland/ validity.

Enjoy the day!

Last modified on Jul 21, 2016 - 4:34 PM by Arno
Iskander
Iskander
11 posts
Jul 22, 2016 - 7:13 PM in reply to Arno

Thank you very much, Arno. Exactly what I needed.

Best, Alexander

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2656 posts
expert
Jul 23, 2016 - 5:35 PM in reply to Iskander

Hi Iskander -

Arno's suggestion to walk or take the train (more like a trolley car or two hooked together) from Mürren is a good one. That is what I would do.

www.myswissalps.com/hi king/gruetschalp-muerren

However, you should be aware that there is a bus that runs frequently along the valley floor between Lautrebrunnen and Stechelberg.

In this map I have turned on the icons for transport stops, using "Traffic" in the menus under "Points of Interest."

map.search.ch/M%C3%BCr ren?pos=636124,157656&z=64 &poi=bergbahn,halteste lle,zug

If the weather is nice, another really scenic walk is :

www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

Slowpoke

Please login to see the attached documents

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016