Please help with rail passes!!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2010 at 10:04:33 #803768

I’m starting go get confused about the rail passes! I really can’t figure out if we need one. I would need prices for this, but I can’t find them. Also, I’m wondering where all passes are valid! How should I pick the right one when this is not clear? We’ll leave in May so I have to make a choice by now, I didn’t know it would be so confusing. Can anyone help me out please? How do I handle this?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    12 April 2010 at 15:38:54 #831082

Hello Fvanderbilt,

Finding the right pass can be difficult. Hopefully these tips will help you out:

– a price list of all rail passes is available;
    – each rail pass has a detail page. These are listed on the overview page. On the detail page you will find a map showing the area of validity of the pass. Click the link ‘overview of the network on which the … is valid’ under the header ‘… features’;
    – you can read our rail FAQ, which explains how you can calculate which pass is most economical for your travel plans.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have! Good luck.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2010 at 3:42:32 #831083

Hi Fvanderbilt, the tips Annika mentioned above will certainly help you. You should also try to answer some important questions for yourself, for example: do you want to travel (almost) each day? Will you be making long journeys or only a few short ones? Is it important for you to board trains and buses without buying single tickets each time? And so on. If you read the description of each pass with these questions in mind, it will be easier to choose the right one. I’ll be happy to try to give some more advice if you need it!
    Bye, Jules

• The thread ‘Please help with rail passes!!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.