Rail disruptions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2013 at 6:02:35 #806099

Dear Arno and Annika,
    You always seem to know about planned railway maintenance! Does that mean there is a link on the Sbb rail website which lists forthcoming disruptions to rail services. It would be useful to our planning if we know in advance which days to avoid certain trips. E.g. last year when we did our trip to Locarno via the Centovalli railway we found a short section to Domodossola had bus alternative (very efficiently managed as usual of course) but had we done trip a couple of days earlier we would have avoided this and had slightly longer time in Locarno. I know the website gives this information if you look up a particular date for your journey but I wondered if there was a full list somewhere I could look up now before we go. (Less than a week now so anticipation is building!)
    Thanks
    Maggie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 July 2013 at 10:02:07 #839023

Hello Maggie,

I usually get that information from the timetable, like you explained, but there’s a list indeed: go to this SBB page for a list of current interruptions. From there you can click “Show map and messages”. Directly under that map you can fill out a date range to adjust the map, and also a list under that map, to show interruptions for the desired time frame. If you want to be 100% sure it’s good to double check before you start traveling as unplanned disturbances will not be announced months in advance 😉

You’re off to Switzerland soon, so enjoy the Alps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2013 at 10:38:00 #839024

many thanks Arno
    willl follow your advice and use the link as it will be useful to know about planned interruptions at least. I know to be careful as on the day we intended to go up Brienzer Rothorn last year we arrived in Brienz to find there was a rock fall on the line and trips were cancelled! very last minute indeed so we went to Giessbach instead! (the advantages of having reserve plans up your sleeve!)
    Maggie

• The thread ‘Rail disruptions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.