Rosenlaui glacier gorge

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2010 at 6:51:40 #803797

Hello,

During our stay in Meiringen we might want to visit the Rosenlaui glacier gorge.
    My question for those who have seen this gorge is: would you recommend going there?
    We once visited the Trümmelbach waterfalls near Lauterbrunnen and thought it was fantastic. How do these two compare?

Thanks in advance,

Angus

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    23 April 2010 at 9:36:31 #831166

Hello Angus, I would certainly recommend to visit this gorge. It’s really beautiful, although – to my taste – less overwhelming than the Trümmelbach waterfalls. Less overwhelming doesn’t mean less nice to be there!
    Are you planning a day trip to the Reichenbach Valley? In that case you can consider going there by PostBus from Meiringen. On your way back (hiking? PostBus?) you could visit the Reichenbach fall.

Enjoy,

Annika
    7124 posts
    24 April 2010 at 6:16:13 #831167

Thank you Wandermann, for your excellent reply and extra tips. Combining the gorge with a post bus tour from Meiringen and a visit to the Reichenbach falls would be a great idea. Angus, you may have found the Rosenlaui gorge website already, but in case you haven’t: more information can be found here.

I haven’t been in the Rosenlaui gorge myself recently – I have been as a kid, but I don’t remember it that well. In my opinion, most Swiss gorges are spectacular. The Trümmelbach falls are as well. You could consider a visit to the beautiful Aare gorge, near Meiringen, as well. I’ve been there often and each time I’m impressed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2010 at 14:11:39 #831168

how difficult is the ascent? we are senior citizens and not as fit as we were!

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    28 April 2010 at 1:12:21 #831169

Hello Maggie,

It’s long ago since I was there for the last time so I don’t remember all the details. But I know the trail through the gorge is safe (and wet of course). It is a gradual ascent, there are some tunnels, some parts of the trail are rather flat, but you’ll have to climb stairs. It usually takes about about 45 minutes. You go up some 150 meters over a distance of about 600 meters. Leaving the gorge at the highest point you’ll find a resting place. The trail back to the starting point runs along a brook through the wood. As far as I can remember this trail isn’t difficult.

I hope this will help you.

Bye,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2010 at 10:14:01 #831170

Guten Tag-My wife and visited both Rosenlaui and Aareschhluct while staying in Innertkirchen in Summer 2008. Both are well worth the effort. Rosenlaui involves a lot more up and down (auf und ab) whereas Aarschluct is much more of a level walk. My recollection is that Aareschluct has great deal more interpretive stuff and also has a “story” about a giant worm (if you have kids). If you go to Rosenlaui, the gorge is actually closer to the hamlet of Schwartzwaldalp, which has a very nice little hotel with a dining room. Whichever you decide, you will enjoy the Haslital
    Dr AllenG,Tempe AZ
    r

Annika
    7124 posts
    28 April 2010 at 14:45:57 #831171

Thank you for your helpful answers, Wandermann and AllenG! Maggie, I hopes this helps you decide.

• The thread ‘Rosenlaui glacier gorge’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.