Schilthorn late August after 13:00?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2016 at 1:57:17 #809029

We’ll be arriving (without our luggage, as we’ll be using Express Baggage from Zermatt) at the train station in Lauterbrunnen at 13:00 on a Sunday in late August. If the weather is good, will there be enough time to head to Splithorn from there, and if so, is this the best route?

In Lauterbrunnen you take the bus to ‘Stechelberg Schilthornbahn’ (about 20 minutes). Board the cable car here. You have to switch to another cable car in Gimmelwald before you reach Mirren. The final leg of the trip starts in Mürren. You’ll board the cable car and switch to another one in Birg. Then you reach the summit of the Schilthorn.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2016 at 2:52:31 #851291

I’ve done some more research and I think this is the better route for us that day.

The BLM station is right across the street from the rail station. From there you take the cablecar up to Grutchalp (sit on the right hand side). Change to the BLM trolley train into Murren. Once you arrive at the Murren train station, walk through the village to the south end of town to the Schilthornbahn station. Take the trip up to Birg and the top.

Am I right?

Annika
    7124 posts
    27 April 2016 at 4:53:10 #851292

Hi Canadarocks,

Yes, you should be able to visit Schilthorn in the afternoon if you reach Lauterbrunnen by 13h00. Both routes you mentioned are fine; they’re both described at http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn/gettingthere. The bus option via Stechelberg is a bit quicker. The timetable allows you to find all options. If you want to see the connection via Grütschalp/Mürren, enter “Grütschalp” as a via station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2016 at 5:04:57 #851293

Thank you Annika. I’ll do some more research.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2016 at 20:30:01 #851294

Ok, if we use the Grutschalp route we leave from Lauterbrunnen BLM at 13:38. That will give us time to buy our tickets, and get organized. 22 minutes in Murren. We arrive at Schilthorn at 14:57.

We can return using the Stechelberg route, leaving Schilthorn at 16:55. There is a long layover at Stechelberg of 37 minutes, and we return to Lauterbrunnen at 18:27.

I think this plan is better:
    Take the Stechelberg route to go there, leaving Lauterbrunnen Bahnhof at 13:35 and arriving in Schilthorn at 14:27 (so a half hour sooner)

Returning via the Grutschalp route, leaving Schilthorn at the same time (16:55), we have the same 37 minute layover but in Murren, and we arrive back at Lauterbrunnen at 18:19.

What do you think? Is going to Schilthorn better with one method over the other? Or will we do fine as long as we take each leg of the trip differently? Obviously all of this is dependent on good weather….

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2016 at 7:47:42 #851295

The “37 minute layover in Murren” will work well for walkng through the village to make your connetion at the other end 🙂 .

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 April 2016 at 15:53:19 #851296

Just make sure you cover both legs I would say. The order does not matter that much. Personally I like going up via Stechelberg.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2016 at 16:50:46 #851297

Thanks, that’s what we will do. I’ve switched our hotel to one right beside the train station, so we won’t have the expense of Express Luggage. I’ve cleared it with them to leave our suitcases at reception when we get there, we’ll return quickly to the station and board the 14:05 bus to Stechelberg.

Fingers and toes crossed for great weather!

• The thread ‘Schilthorn late August after 13:00?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.