Seats Glacier Express and direction of travel

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2017 at 17:32:35 #810892

Can you tell by looking at the diagram which is the front of the train and back? I see a little difference in the front and back of the picture. Is that the luggage rack. My question would be can you tell by the diagram which end will be going forward? Or do you just have to choose seats and hope for the best? Could they tell you by phoning? Also if you choose seats will they be able to tell when you check in at train station on date of departure and change them if there is availability? Asking a lot,right?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 February 2017 at 6:37:20 #859324

My research leads me to the conclusion that you can’t predict, when making reservations, which side of the train is favoured.

See . . .

Which side of the train to sit? Eastbound, the right-hand side is best along the Mattertal Valley between Zermatt and Brig, and also between Chur and St Moritz with great views of the the Landwasser Viaduct. In the Rhine Gorge, all the river scenery is on the left. Westbound, it’ll obviously be the opposite side. However, when booking you can’t tell which way round the carriages will be, so unfortunately you can’t reserve a seat on a specific side. But feel free to move if seats are free, and if there’s four of you, you could reserve the two window seats on both sides.

From http://www.seat61.com/Glacier Express.htm#travel_tip s_&_FAQ

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2017 at 8:22:27 #859325

>> Can you tell by looking at the diagram which is the front of the train and back? I see a little difference in the front and back of the picture. Is that the luggage rack. My question would be can you tell by the diagram which end will be going forward?

No, both ends can go forward, because trains change directions.

For example, the Glacier Express changes direction at Chur. If you are facing forwards on the left in the direction of travel from St Moritz to Chur, you will be facing backwards on the right in the direction of travel from Chur to Brig. There might be another change of direction at Brig, I can’t remember.

Then when the train gets to Zermatt, the part of the train that was at the front on arrival in Zermatt will be at the end of the train when it sets out on the return trip.

Alpenrose

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 February 2017 at 9:44:43 #859326

Hi all,

The route and where to sit (personal opinions) is explained here: myswissalps.com/glacie rexpress/gettingthere. The train no longer changes direction in Brig, but does so in Chur.

• The thread ‘Seats Glacier Express and direction of travel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.