Second thoughts on Lucerne as base

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2016 at 19:55:56 #809978

I had planned to have Lucerne as a base for my 3 days at Switzerland – the starting days of October this year.

Now the constraints – I will be coming from Venice, reaching Milan by 9 AM. the original plan was to head to Lucerne straight and then fly out of Zurich on day4 with flight at 11am (This ticket already booked).

The original plan:
    day1: kinda free, get the feel of the city
    Day2: Mt Titilis
    Day3: Option open to the other mountain trips from Lucerne/ countryside day trip

But now the BO area looks so fascinating – lauterbrunnen, Murren and all and visit to jungfraujoch.
    I am not much interested in cities, museums and stuff but in these 3 days would want to explore the countryside and soak in the Alps feel, be in the snow.

Should i think of changing the base.?

What is most recommended, with October being the travel season

If Lucerne is indeed the most sensible base, how best to make use of my time. Should I try doing a long winded scenic train ride from Milan to Lucerne to get here (went through some forums, the number of options available, phew!!). In my case what will be the best route so that I reach Lucerne by evening.

From Lucerne, make countryside trips to Brienzer Rothorn, Meirngen etc.?

In short how best to use these 3 days with my interests in mind.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2016 at 8:02:35 #855492

Hi friends

When you tour for only 3 days to switzerland,it is obvious to have a second thought. Your first one is fine and lucerne is the perfect one for the first timer

Day 1–Walk around city

Day 2–Titlis -you may found glacier may find a touch of Jung frau….

Day–3 Golden round trip to Mt. Pilatus ( boat+ cable)

Last but not the least it is convenient to catch the flight at 11.00 am next morning.

If you change your base to BO it will be difficult

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2016 at 13:22:48 #855493

Hi

Given the short time I would suggest to do Mt Titlis on day 1….come back by 3….rest for an hour and then move in the city…since u dont want museums n stuff, two hrs in city would be fine

In day 2 u can go to BO n come back or stay there…..thats btr becoz u have few days…..atleast u can go to meiringen n aare gorge…thats great….if u do titlis u can skip jungfraujoch

Day 3 you may go to zurich n rhinefalls n stay at zurich airport hotel to avoid hassles to rush to airport…we loved rhinefalls

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2016 at 15:10:51 #855494

Day 2 if possible try to cover interlaken. While return you can take boat ride on Lake brienz

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2016 at 21:09:08 #855495

How about Bettemeralp, the aletsch glacier looks stunning.

Day1 : Reach Bettmeralp

Day2: Glacier visit and reach Lucerne by evening

Day 3: Titlis/Rigi in this preference depending on weather

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 August 2016 at 10:16:46 #855496

There is a tremendous number of wonderful places in Switzerland, and Bettmeralp is certainly one of them. Personally I would pick one base for the limited time you have available. You’ll be more flexible weather wise. And come back for more later if possible!

• The thread ‘Second thoughts on Lucerne as base’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.