Should I reserve a seat during busy season

Should I reserve a seat during busy season

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
macyclaire
macyclaire
26 posts
May 12, 2016 - 8:15 PM

There are 5 of us travelling from Luzern to Interlaken at the end of July. I believe we do not need to reserve seats on the Golden Pass train but as there will be so many tourists at the time, would it be better for me to reserve a seat or will it not be a problem to just show up?

Arno
Arno
7726 posts
expert &
May 13, 2016 - 4:53 AM in reply to macyclaire

Hi macyclaire,

This is regular public transport; no need to book seats. Enjoy the ride!

macyclaire
macyclaire
26 posts
May 13, 2016 - 1:17 PM in reply to Arno

Thank you, Arno. I'm glad to know that I don't have to worry about the train being full and not being able to get on - esp as there are 5 of us!!

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2657 posts
expert
May 13, 2016 - 10:10 PM in reply to macyclaire

Hi Macyclaire -

The Swiss really know how to care for travelers. You'll have no trouble getting seats.

Maybe you will not be able to all sit together, but if you get on the train as soon as it is available, you'll have no trouble with that, either.

If you wish to sit in the special seats in certain special cars and trains, up front below the driver's "cockpit", you'll have to reserve.

Otherwise, as my 36 years of traveling to Switzerland has proven to me...there is always a seat on a train.

These days, the rush hour commuter trains in and out of Zürich, Geneva, Bern, Basel, do tend to be full, however.

Slowpoke

macyclaire
macyclaire
26 posts
May 14, 2016 - 2:10 PM in reply to Slowpoke

That's good to know. Thank you.

Another train question - we are planning to take the cable car to Mannlichen, walk to Kleine Scheidegg and then catch the train to Jungfrau. I hear the Jungfrau train gets pretty crowded as the day progresses. Any idea when the busiest time would be? I'm debating if we should scrap this plan and just do Jungfrau first or if we will be ok if we get to KS by noon at the latest.

Arno
Arno
7726 posts
expert &
May 14, 2016 - 2:26 PM in reply to macyclaire

Late morning to mid afternoon is busiest in my opinion. Hard to predict though as it depends on the weather and the schedule of tour groups.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2657 posts
expert
May 14, 2016 - 4:26 PM in reply to macyclaire

Although many consider the walk in the reverse direction to be OK ( KS to Männlichen) which could be done after Jungfraujoch, I personally feel very strongly that it should be done in the other direction (M to KS)..

M to KS is slightly down hill ...not a big issue.

However, one of the special parts of the trip from M to KS is the way that the Eiger rises above you as you walk toward it. If you go the other way, you have to keep turning your head around, and the effects is not nearly as compelling.

Old picture is attached, from 2004. A crop from it shows the hikers at full image size...gives you some idea of how insignificant people are in that landscape.

Slowpoke

For what its worth, that is my opinion.

Slowpoke

Please login to see the attached documents
macyclaire
macyclaire
26 posts
May 14, 2016 - 6:49 PM in reply to Slowpoke

Thank you, Arno & Slowpoke. I definitely want to do the walk from M to KS and not the other way around. I am just concerned about having to wait too long for a train to Jungfrau - we are in the region for such a short time, I don't want to waste valuable time that could better be spent enjoying the area. There is so much I want to do and so little time :-'(

Your pictures are awesome, Slowpoke!!

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016