Do I really need a SIM card in Switzerland?

Do I really need a SIM card in Switzerland?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
kenlee6
kenlee6
46 posts
Mar 3, 2016 - 5:06 AM

Do I really need a SIM card when I'm in Switzerland?? I'm thinking of SIM card for restaurant bookings. It it easy to get a place in restaurants at low season April/May??

I'm traveling solo btw.

Arno
Arno
7696 posts
expert &
Mar 3, 2016 - 6:19 AM

Hi kenlee6,

Whether you need a SIM card depends on how much you prefer to do online. If it's really just for booking restaurants I would not buy a card. You can call them or use the (probably more expensive) data package of your own provider for a minute. Restaurants won't be busy, apart from very popular places or if there are events nearby.

If you want to receive e-mails, check train schedules, the weather, etc., a SIM card might be convenient and save money. Please see myswissalps.com/ simcard for some good options.

kenlee6
kenlee6
46 posts
Mar 3, 2016 - 6:41 AM in reply to Arno

Since I'm coming from Austria, can a SIM card be used in both countries ?? I saw that the Swiss card can be used in Austria. How about vice versa??

Arno
Arno
7696 posts
expert &
Mar 3, 2016 - 8:20 AM in reply to kenlee6

Yes, the suggested card for Switzerland works in Austria too, so it's all you need for both countries. Please see www.simlystore.com/ en/buy-prepaid-sim-card/switzerland-prepaid-data-sim-card.html and click to Product Summary. I tried this card myself and it worked great.

Last modified on Mar 3, 2016 - 8:21 AM by Arno
andrew
andrew
27 posts
Mar 5, 2016 - 8:12 PM

I use a Natel SIM-CARD from Swisscom for my twice a year visits to Switzerland. When I first bought it (2014) it cost CHF20 but came with almost that amount of preload. Any day you use it for data your credit is deducted just once per day by CHF2. On days when you don't connect for data there is no deduction but make sure your data connection is switched off. You can still use phone and texts which are charged per use. You are warned when your credit is getting low and top up is easy. Andrew

kenlee6
kenlee6
46 posts
Mar 6, 2016 - 1:30 AM in reply to andrew

Hi Andrew

Can this SIM card be used in Austria?? I'm coming from Austria

andrew
andrew
27 posts
Mar 6, 2016 - 9:51 AM in reply to kenlee6

Hi,

The best thing you can do is look at www.swisscom.ch/en/res idential/mobile/subscr iption-tariffs/natel-easy-smart.html which gives all the answers.

Andrew

kenlee6
kenlee6
46 posts
Mar 6, 2016 - 11:50 AM in reply to andrew

Can I this SIM card in all the train station??

Arno
Arno
7696 posts
expert &
Mar 6, 2016 - 11:59 AM in reply to kenlee6

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but perhaps this page is helpful: myswissalps.com/ train/practical/ internet.

kenlee6
kenlee6
46 posts
Mar 6, 2016 - 1:25 PM in reply to andrew

Sorry Arno

It was a typo. I meant can I buy this SIM card in call train station??

Arno
Arno
7696 posts
expert &
Mar 6, 2016 - 3:49 PM

Hi kenlee6,

The Swisscom card suggested by Andrew can be purchased in Swisscom stores and you need to bring an ID (see the link he provided). Some larger stations have Swisscom shops. The card I mentioned earlier can simply be purchased online without an ID and works immediately upon arrival.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016