Suggestion on best rail pass and 5 day itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2017 at 12:36:16 #811457

Hi,

I am planing to visit from june 2nd to june 6th. I will reach basel at 10:00 AM on 2nd and my return flight is at 8:15 PM on 6th.

I have prepare a draft itinerary:

Zermatt – Lucern – Interlaken

If I use swiss pass for 4 days CHF 259

Day 1 – Basel to Zermatt (single) – free?

Day 2 – Glacier express to chun -( CHF 33 reservation)

Day 2 – chun to luzern – free?

Day 3 – Lucerne-Engelberg – Titlis (return) – CHF 45 (50%) for Engelberg – Titlis?

Day 4 – Palitus round trip – free?

Day 4 – Lucerne – Interlaken Ost(single) -free

total (CHF 337)

Day 5 – Interlaken Ost – Jungfrau – Jungfraujoch (good morning ) (CHF 145)

Day 5 – Interlaken Ost – Basel (CHF 55) (take train to basel around 16:-00)

As swiss pass is for 4 days or 8 days, so If I take 4 days pass and go without any pass on 5 th day it will save the money? Is Good morning ticket from (CHF 145) give me all access to Jungfrau region for one day? Is there any option I can save money here. Could you suggest any other alternative itinerary.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Som

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2017 at 16:12:49 #861785

Hi Som and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Day 1: Covered by the Swiss Travel Pass
    Day 2: Glacier Express to Chur: correct, you just pay the reservation fee
    Day 3: Yes, your ticket will be 50% to Mt. Titlis with the Swiss Travel Pass
    Day 4: Correct, free travel to Mt. Pilatus
    Day 5: Correct

You can find all routes that are covered fully or partially with the Swiss Travel Pass here.

If you go with the Good Morning Ticket to Jungfraujoch on last day then it makes the most sense to buy the 4 day Swiss Travel Pass for your trip.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2017 at 23:16:57 #861786

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for confirming my queries.

So best option is for day 5 I will not take any extra pass. Rather take good morning pass for jungfrau. Does the good morning pass cover whole Jungfrau region for CHF 145 for one day? Is it possible to go to jungfraujoch and grindelward – first, LAUTERBRUNNEN and come back to Interlaken by 16:00 if we start at 6:30 – 7:00 AM. Any suggestion on the route. Do I need to book good morning pass before hand, or I can get that on the same day.

Thanks again

Som

Annika
    7124 posts
    20 April 2017 at 9:37:13 #861787

Hi Som,

No, the Good Morning Ticket only provides access to the Jungfraujoch, not to other cable cars or mountain trains in the area. Yes, if you leave early and don’t spend too much time up at Jungfraujoch and First you’ll be able to do both in one day. I think your best bet is to just buy a Good Morning Ticket for your trip up to Jungfraujoch and regular tickets for First.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2017 at 13:28:04 #861788

Hi Annika/Lucas,

Sorry to bother again. I have few more questions:

1. Do I need to buy Swiss travel pass in advance, or I can buy from Basel Airpot when I reach there?

2. Basel to Zermatt and Interlaken to Basel. Do I need to book ticket online, or I can aboard in the train with ticket from station (showing swiss pass)?

3. Zermatt -> will reach at 1:14 PM. We have only one day there, next morning at 9:52 we are taking Glacier express. should we a) roam around Zermatt, b) go to Gronergrat and return. c) Go to Kleinn Matterhorn and return. You suggestion please.

4. Jungfrau -> If I go jungfraujochthrough LAUTERBRUNNEN (is good morning pass go that way?)and comeback via grindelward, is it possible? Get down in grindelward and take a return train ticket to first (what is the cost?) , then return to Interlaken is that possible?

Thanks

Som

Annika
    7124 posts
    20 April 2017 at 14:47:52 #861789

Hi Som,

1. You’d best get your Swiss Travel Pass online in advance from the resellers listed at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price. You can use the SBB tourist webshop through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en if you like and pick “online ticket” when asked for delivery options. That way you’ll receive a print at home ticket through e-mail without any delivery or handling fees.

2. With a valid Swiss Travel Pass you don’t need any further tickets. Just board and show your pass upon request. Please refer to myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/howtouse.

3. If weather is nice I’d definitely visit one of the viewing points. You can compare through our Gornergrat and Klein Matterhorn pages.

4. The Good Morning Ticket is valid for both the Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald routes, so no problem there. Prices, for Grindelwald-First as well, can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2017 at 21:29:03 #861790

Hi Annika,

Thanks for your reply. This site already becoming a great help and saves me a lot of money without sacrificing any attractions.

I have already reserved a seat in Glacier Express on 3rd Jun Saturday from Zermatt to Chur. I will be staying at lucerne that night.

Now after going through MyswissAlps I am thinking of taking Gotthard Panorama Express also.

Options:

1. (previous plan): Zermatt (9:52 am) to Chur (3:45 pm) (glacier express). from chur to Lucerne (local train). is there any better option I can take instead of the local train?

2.(new plan): Zermatt(9:52) – Andermatt (12:45 pm) (Glacier Express). Andermatt – Göschenen (cogwheel train), Göschenen – Lucerne (Gotthard Panorama Express).

Which one will be better in terms of scenic beauty? I will buy swiss pass, so do I need to reserve a seat for Gotthard Panorama Express (extra charge)? is there will be a charge for Göschenen (cogwheel train). Is there is Gotthard Panorama Express after 1:30 pm from Göschenen to lucerne. Do I need to book boat seat also?

Thanks & Regards

Som

Annika
    7124 posts
    27 April 2017 at 9:47:43 #861791

Hi Som,

That’s hard to answer. Both routes are great in terms of scenery and I can’t tell which is “better”. You’d best compare the route descriptions through the pages below and decide for yourself:

Note that the first route is easier with only one change of trains in Chur, whereas the second plan requires more changes in Andermatt and Göschenen. And, if you take the boat over Lake Lucerne for the last segment of the route, one change from train to boat in Flüelen as well. There’s an official Gotthard Panorama Express leaving Göschenen at 13:14. You should be able to catch it if you take the train from Andermatt (leaving at 12:53) to Göschenen (arriving at 13:09). Please consult the timetable at myswissalps.com/timeta ble, and find a link to the Gotthard Panorama Express timetable at myswissalps.com/gottha rdpanoramaexpress/gett ingthere under “More on other websites”.

Yes, you need to book seats if you want to travel in the official Gotthard Panorama Express train and boat. If you plan to cover the route by regular train and/or boat reservations are not required. Please refer to myswissalps.com/gottha rdpanoramaexpress/tick ets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2017 at 11:57:42 #861792

Hi Annika,

Thanks for the information, We decide to take Gotthard Panorama Express, it will give us more versatile experience. Is boat included in the panorama express is different than the normal one? The normal train takes same route as panorama express? Could we book the seat reservations from station Göschenen or it is suggested to book it online?

in http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /panoramic-trains?utm_source=MySwissAlps &utm_medium=aff&utm_ca mpaign=TRWenMySwissAlp s it says ticket is Fr. 28 wherein SBB it says it’s fr. 24 but I am unable to book from there as Göschenen station is not available in the dropdown. Also is it give the option to select seat as Glacier express?

Thanks

Som

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 April 2017 at 20:23:26 #861793

Hi Som,

The boat is a steam boat, but anyone can access it. No special reservations required. Only the train requires a reservation. Of course you can also pick any regular train and not buy a reservation.

Yes, you can book the Gotthard Panorama Express train from Göschenen. Just go to http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /panoramic-trains and pick Gotthard Express from the dropdown. Click the price and click the Pay button. Then enter “Göschenen to Flüelen” and the departure/arrival time in the “Route & time” box. It costs CHF 2o or € 18. You can’t select a specific seat.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2017 at 21:15:18 #861794

Hi Arno,

Thanks for the information. This website is really making my planning easier.

I was trying to book the reservation in Gotthard express. The link suggested by you is show the price is CHF 28. where in SBB ticket shop it is CHF 12, if I use http://www.sbb.ch/ticketshop and source as Göschenen destination Flüelen at time 13:14 on date 3rd June there is option for seat reservation. But Gotthard express is not mentioned. Am I doing it right? If it is the correct train, I will book from SBB ticket shop. Please suggest.

Thanks

Som

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 12:20:38 #861795

Hi Som,

If you search on the timetable here, it will bring up the 13:14 departure from Göschenen – click the + sign and it will show you that it is indeed the Gotthard Panorama Express.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Suggestion on best rail pass and 5 day itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.