Swiss card- travel to Germany from Switzerland

Swiss card- travel to Germany from Switzerland

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Jun 19, 2013 - 7:48 AM
We plan to fly into Zurich in Sep, purchase Swiss Cards which I understand provide free travel for our inwards leg to Wengen.
We then depart Wengen some 5 days later and travel to Wurzburg in Germany via Frankfurt.
Our exit point from Switzerland is Basel, which I understand is free under the terms of the Card.

Our changeover time in Basel is only seven minutes from IC962 to ICE 74
What are the logistics to purchasing the ongoing point to point Basel Wurzburg?
Can I do that in Switzerland?
Are reservations required?

Your guidance will be appreciated.
Arno
Arno
7295 posts
expert &
Jun 19, 2013 - 8:10 AM
Hello Ecca43,

The train from Basel to Germany most probably requires seat reservations. If not, I would recommend it. You can purchase the tickets in Switzerland, but it's better to get such tickets in advance (up to 2-3 months prior to your trip). That increases the chance you'll be able to get them, and get the desired seats if applicable. You can find tickets here. In most cases you can purchase along your Swiss Cards from the same website as well. If you let me know your country of residence I'll point you to the right website.
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Jun 19, 2013 - 8:13 AM
Australia
Arno
Arno
7295 posts
expert &
Jun 19, 2013 - 8:47 AM
In that case you can get everything from your local Rail Europe website: this page for the ICE tickets + seat reservations, and this page for the Swiss Cards.

Alternatively there's the world wide Rail Europe site which may work out slightly cheaper: this page for the tickets and this page for the cards.

The tickets can be booked from 2 months prior of traveling.

Enjoy the trip!
Last modified on Nov 17, 2014 - 5:17 PM by Arno

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016