Swiss hotel asks to pay possible charges up front

• Kunes_daniel
    Participant
    2 posts
    21 October 2022 at 10:18:44 #828540

Is it customary for a 4-star hotel to ask for your balance be paid in full upon your arrival for your room and add an additional +2300 francs to your hotel bill for possible charges you may make to the room i.e. room service, restaurant, or bar services for a 9 night stay?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 October 2022 at 11:47:53 #947917

Hi Kunes daniel,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! I’ve never paid more than the room rate upon arrival. An extra CHF 2300 sounds excessive to me, unless they were clear about that when booking. Let’s see what others have to say.

Mark
    Participant
    791 posts
    22 October 2022 at 14:17:37 #947918

I have stayed at a number of upscale hotels in different parts of Switzerland (as well as other European cities) and never been charged for the room at check in. Typically the hotel takes a credit card number and possibly a copy of my passport but doesn’t run the charges until checkout. I certainly have never heard of charging an extra deposit for possible future charges. I have never had an issue with the hotel’s charges but I wouldn’t hesitate to dispute any unreasonable charges with my credit card company. Amex is very good about handling disputes with vendors as long as it is not overused. (I have used this maybe 2 or 3 times in 25 years).

Mark

Kunes_daniel
    Participant
    2 posts
    22 October 2022 at 17:51:37 #947919

Appreciate the info, seemed really weird to us to be charged prior to the stay, it’s definitely a first for us and to be charged an additional 2300CHF seemed very excessive. I guess we give off a look of not being able to afford our stay. Thanks again for the response.

Anna
    6233 posts
    24 October 2022 at 10:33:21 #947920

Hi Kunes danial,

From my personal experience, hotels which require a deposit on arrival will usually just take note of your credit card but won’t charge you until checkout. And I agree with everyone that CHF2300 is rather excessive. You might want to clarify with the hotel about this.

Regards,

Anna

Danielsan
    Participant
    628 posts
    25 October 2022 at 6:08:56 #947921

Hi Kunes daniel,

If the hotel continues to demand excessive deposit for “possible” charges, perhaps you may just want to choose a different hotel? that seems pretty exorbitant.

Regards,

Danielsan

• The thread ‘Swiss hotel asks to pay possible charges up front’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.