Swiss pass for a week's trip?

Swiss pass for a week's trip?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Goiporia
Goiporia
2 posts
May 25, 2014 - 2:46 PM

Hello

my family and I will be visiting Switzerland from 4 to 12 August. The plan is:

-Fly into Zurich

-Take the train to Wengen

-Take day trips to interlaken, lake brienz, trummelbach falls and jungfraujoch

-After 4 days travel to Montreaux by train

-Spend 3 days in Montreaux including taking the chocolate train and visiting the gruyere factory

-Take the train from Montreaux to Zurich

Having checked prices it looks like the Swiss Pass would be the best option, cost wise even for such a short trip.

My kids are 18 and 15. The 15 year old will be 16 in December so I presume she should be free if we request a family pass? Am I right that all transport will be covered except the chocolate train and jungfraujoch, and even there I should get a discount?

Any other places to see?

Thanks - Sonali

Arno
Arno
7718 posts
expert &
May 26, 2014 - 2:19 PM in reply to Goiporia

Hi Sonali,

You're right, the 15 year old travels along for free: you can order along a Swiss Family Card which includes free traveling for children up to 15. The 18 year old can get the Youth variant of the Swiss Pass: Swiss Youth Pass.

The Trümmelbach Falls are not included in the pass, and you need to pay a surcharge/reservation for the Chocolate Train. The Jungfraujoch is discounted by 25% from Wengen. The 15 year old travels along for free there as well.

See here for Swiss Pass prices & resellers, and don't forget to check the promotions section.

As for more things to see: see the Montreux and Bernese Oberland pages for suggestions. Personally, I would include some hiking if the weather is fine. Interlaken is not a must, unless you like to go shopping.

Last modified on Dec 28, 2014 - 12:54 PM by Arno
Goiporia
Goiporia
2 posts
May 26, 2014 - 4:57 PM in reply to Arno

Thanks Arno! Do we still need to reserve seats esp given that it's second class? Appreciate your input and your other responses have also been very helpful!

sonali

Arno
Arno
7718 posts
expert &
May 26, 2014 - 5:00 PM

Hi Sonali,

I'm glad to help! Seat reservations are not required (except for the Chocolate Train), regardless of the class of travel. Please see here: www.myswissalps.com/train/reservations

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016