Swiss pass or half fare card

Swiss pass or half fare card

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
judyloo
judyloo
1 post
Dec 5, 2012 - 3:15 AM
I've done some research on what options to take, but I just need some advice on what is the best option for transportation to be travelling within Switzerland for 5 days 4 nights. This is our itinerary:

12/17/2012 Arriving in Zurich from London at around 9:30am -> staying in Interlaken overnight
12/18/2012 Find a good package for visiting Jungfrau/Grindelwald, etc
12/19/2012 Interlaken to Zermatt (staying in Zermatt overnight)
12/20/2012 Zermatt to Geneva early morning
12/21/2012 Geneva to Paris (take tgv)

Questions:
1) Should we choose swiss pass or the half fare travelcard for our travels (including TGV on last day) within Switzerland?
2) Is it cheaper to get a package deal to visit Jungfrau like the link I've attached below or is it cheaper to decide along the way?
http://shop.jungfrau.ch/en/bergbahn/angebote/jungfraujoch-top-of-europe/jungfraujoch-ticket-anschlussticket-zum-ga-und-swisspass-ab-wengen-bis-grindelwald
3) Does the swiss pass include the fare up to Zermatt? or 50% off?
4) If I get the Swiss pass for 4 days (12/17-12/20), the the TGV on 12/21 would be purchased separately. Does half fare travelcard have the 50% discount on TGV as well?

Thanks so much!
Arno
Arno
7721 posts
expert &
Dec 6, 2012 - 11:50 AM
Hi judyloo, welcome to MySwissAlps,

1) You can add up normal fares and compare that to pass prices, as explained here. A Swiss Card would be the cheapest and most convenient option in your case. Zurich airport - Interlaken and Zermatt - Geneva are included for free so you don't need to buy tickets for those transfers. You'll get 50% discounts on tickets for all other trips.

2) The page you're referring to is not about a package deal. It's just offering to purchase a discounted ticket online. You'll get a 50% discount on Jungfrau tickets with the Swiss Card, regardless whether you buy online or local.

3) You can download a map of what's included on any of our pass pages.

4) The TGV tickets need to be purchased separately in any case. Geneva is on the border, so your TGV transfer is in France only. Swiss rail passes do not offer discounts for France. You can refer to the maps I mentioned also.

I hope this helps!
Last modified on Dec 28, 2014 - 4:31 PM by Arno

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016