Swiss Pass or Half Fare Card?

Swiss Pass or Half Fare Card?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
tasianicoletan
tasianicoletan
1 post
Dec 19, 2012 - 9:02 AM
Hi!
My family of 5 from Singapore will be travelling to Switzerland for a period of 5 days and I am overwhelmed with the information about the Swiss Rail, and would really appreciate your help. The itinerary we have thus far in terms of travelling are:

Day 1: Zurich - Lucerne

Day 3: Lucerne - Interlaken

Day 3: Interlaken - Lauterbrunnen - Murren - Interlaken

Day 4: Interlaken - Jungfraujoch - Kleinne Scheidegg - Interlaken

Day 5: Interlaken - Grindelwald - Interlaken

Day 5: Interlaken - Zurich

I have calculated the costs if we purchase a Swiss Pass but it doesn't seem to be cheaper since it only offers a 25% discount on the Jungfrau routes, and a lot of our journey encompasses using the trains for those routes.

Hence, the question I have is: Does the Half Fare Pass cover all the routes I have outlined above? Including the Jungfrau routes?
Arno
Arno
7339 posts
expert &
Dec 19, 2012 - 9:38 AM
Hi tasianicoletan,

To see exactly what's covered, you can best download the network maps from the Swiss Pass page and Swiss Half Fare Card page. Actually, most of your planned train routes in the Jungfrau region are free with a Swiss Pass or 50% discounted with the Swiss Half Fare Card. It's just the section from Grindelwald or Wengen up to the Jungfrau that's only discounted by 25% in case of the Swiss Pass. Grindelwald and Mürren can be reached for free; you don't need a ticket if you have a Swiss Pass.

All in all I would say that the Swiss Half fare Card is slightly cheaper than the other options. However, it also depends on when you'll be traveling. You may be able to profit from discounts or promotions. Please take a look at the top posts in our rail forum for current promotions and announcements.
Last modified on Dec 28, 2014 - 4:35 PM by Arno
kim11
kim11
320 posts
top member
Dec 21, 2012 - 12:15 PM
>Hence, the question I have is: Does the Half Fare Pass cover all the routes I have outlined above? Including the Jungfrau routes?<

Yes.

If your group includes any children aged 15 or under they will travel with parent for free with the Family Card. You must request the Family Card when you purchase either pass.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016