Swiss rail passes – 3 days including Jungfraujoch

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2016 at 2:15:09 #808317

We are 2 seniors-65 and 64 travelling to Switzerland in August.We want to rail from Basel to Lauterbrunnen on August 3, visit jungfrau on August 4, travel to Zurich late on August 5.

The question is -is a Swiss travel card our best option, and if so which one?

Looking forward to some good advice,

Many thanks,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    24 January 2016 at 12:38:20 #847939

Hi suemilner, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You’d best look into a Swiss Half Fare Card. It provides a 50% discount on all trips, including the Jungfraujoch. You can easily buy it from http://www.swissrailways.com as a print at home ticket.

Does that answer our question?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2016 at 20:54:04 #847940

If I get the Swiss Half Fare Card, will I be able to book train tickets for the Jungfrau?

Thank you

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 January 2016 at 10:49:20 #847941

Absolutely, with a 50% discount. You usually do not book these in advance though. You simply go to the station, show your Swiss Half Fare card, and buy reduced tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2016 at 20:03:53 #847942

Thankyou,

I thought I should book for the Jungfrau as it is August, the height of the Summer tourist season and I have heard that there are so many foreign tourists wanting to go up-I do not want to miss this excursion.

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 January 2016 at 6:21:32 #847943

Well, on sunny days in Summer, it has happened that tickets sold out. That’s rare though, but good to keep in mind. Please click Price on the page Annika gave you for an explanation. It helps to buy your tickets the prior evening, for example, once you know the weather will be good. If you buy tickets online you’ll usually get a voucher, because a ticket with a fixed date is not very useful as the trip is weather dependent. The voucher needs to be exchanged for a ticket or validated for a particular date.

• The thread ‘Swiss rail passes – 3 days including Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.