Swiss rail passes - 3 days including Jungfraujoch

Swiss rail passes - 3 days including Jungfraujoch

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
suemilner
suemilner
3 posts
Jan 24, 2016 - 2:15 AM

We are 2 seniors-65 and 64 travelling to Switzerland in August.We want to rail from Basel to Lauterbrunnen on August 3, visit jungfrau on August 4, travel to Zurich late on August 5.

The question is -is a Swiss travel card our best option, and if so which one?

Looking forward to some good advice,

Many thanks,

Annika
Annika
4415 posts
expert &
Jan 24, 2016 - 12:38 PM

Hi suemilner, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You'd best look into a Swiss Half Fare Card. It provides a 50% discount on all trips, including the Jungfraujoch. You can easily buy it from www.swissrailways.com as a print at home ticket.

Does that answer our question?

suemilner
suemilner
3 posts
Jan 24, 2016 - 8:54 PM in reply to Annika

If I get the Swiss Half Fare Card, will I be able to book train tickets for the Jungfrau?

Thank you

Arno
Arno
7707 posts
expert &
Jan 25, 2016 - 10:49 AM in reply to suemilner

Absolutely, with a 50% discount. You usually do not book these in advance though. You simply go to the station, show your Swiss Half Fare card, and buy reduced tickets.

suemilner
suemilner
3 posts
Jan 25, 2016 - 8:03 PM in reply to Arno

Thankyou,

I thought I should book for the Jungfrau as it is August, the height of the Summer tourist season and I have heard that there are so many foreign tourists wanting to go up-I do not want to miss this excursion.

Arno
Arno
7707 posts
expert &
Jan 26, 2016 - 6:21 AM in reply to suemilner

Well, on sunny days in Summer, it has happened that tickets sold out. That's rare though, but good to keep in mind. Please click Price on the page Annika gave you for an explanation. It helps to buy your tickets the prior evening, for example, once you know the weather will be good. If you buy tickets online you'll usually get a voucher, because a ticket with a fixed date is not very useful as the trip is weather dependent. The voucher needs to be exchanged for a ticket or validated for a particular date.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016