Swiss Travel Pass – Luzern to Como San Giovanni

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2017 at 5:04:42 #812358

Hi everyone,

I was hoping I would be able to figure this out on my own but it seems I’m just creating more confusion than anything else!

We’ve decided to get a Swiss Travel Pass – We’ll be in Luzern for 3 days in July. From Luzern, we’re heading to Lake Como (Bellagio) by train. Given that we’ll have a Swiss Travel Pass, I presume we would need to buy our rail ticket in two parts – Is that right? The Swiss portion so that we can use the travel pass and then the Italian portion that we’ll need to pay for.

I’ve also read that although it’s not necessary to book in advance any travel on the Swiss trains, but its recommended on the Italian trains as they can book out. If this is the case, is anyone able to advise which station the Italian part of the journey would begin? We’re looking to travel on either the 11.18am or 3.18pm out of Luzern via Arth Goldau.

Any advice would be most welcomed & appreciated.

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 June 2017 at 9:35:43 #865575

Hi alxisb,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass you don’t need any additional tickets for the Swiss portion of your journey.

Chiasso is at the border of Italy and Switzerland. You can check the timetables for Italian trains from there at http://www.trenord.it/EN/

I doubt a reservation would be needed on a regional train, even an Italian one. Is there actually a station at Bellagio? Maybe you may need to take a bus?

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 June 2017 at 8:46:10 #865576

Hi Alexisb,

The Swiss Travel Pass covers you to Chiasso. You need a ticket for the additional 4 minutes across the border to Como S. Giovanni. You can buy that online. Seat reservations are not required for the trains you mentioned.

From Como you’d take bus C30 to Bellagio: http://www.asfautolinee.it/co ntent/en/interurban-network-times. As far as I know you can get the bus ticket at the station in Como, before you board the bus.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass – Luzern to Como San Giovanni’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.