Swiss trip July 21-25 with scenic train journeys

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2016 at 7:51:10 #809545

Hi

I am planning a short trip to Switzerland from July 21 to JUly 25th .I shall be making my base in Basel

Can you recommend what best scenic Train journeys can be accomplished rom Basel or Zurich as DAy Trips ?

I shall be buying the 3 day Swiss Rail Pass

Thanks

Billa

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    27 June 2016 at 8:55:11 #853521

Hello Billa, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Basel and Zurich are not in the Alps, so a different base town would be better. Please find scenic trips through http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/scenictrips, pick the ones you like, and then see which town or towns makes sense to stay in.

All about the Swiss Travel Pass is explained here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass. Be sure to print it at home to save time. And be sure to buy the pass as soon as possible since you live in the UK. You can save a lot of money due to the dropped rate of the pound (see here and here).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2016 at 8:58:08 #853522

Hi Annika

What base town is good for Alps scenic train journeys ?

Where can one go form Basel to enjoy scenic train journeys

Thanks

Billa

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 June 2016 at 11:01:59 #853523

Hi Billa,

Basel is one of worst places to stay if you want to see the Alps, which is where the scenic train rides are. It’s just too far away. Lucerne and Interlaken would be better, but it really depends on your plans. Please study all the options on the page Annika linked to, so you will get a sense of where the rides are and how long they take.

• The thread ‘Swiss trip July 21-25 with scenic train journeys’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.