7 days in Switzerland – Luzern, Interlaken, Zermat

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2017 at 4:35:47 #812720

Switzerland is very beautiful and 7 days are not enough to cover the whole scenery. Me and my husband made our way from London to Zurich via British airways ( nice comfortable economic) Journey time 1.30-2 hours . Time zone : GMT +1.

We purchased 2nd class Swiss travel pass 8 days already from Switzerland Travel centre, 30 Bedford Street London . Which was very helpful as we travelled hassle free for 8 Days . Switzerland travel centre in London is helpful to get swiss travel passes, transfer tickets, seat reservations on Panoramic trains and also class upgrades from 2nd to 1st Class. I have booked hotels through booking.com 2 months ago. So everything done before departure.Last min deals are expensive always .

We decided to stay in Luzern, Interlaken, Zermatt and Zurich. We made Three Mountains Excursion (Piltus – free with Swiss travel pass, Titlis, Gonergrat) paid extra on top of travel pass .” 50% Discount” with swiss travel pass. Two Panoramic train rides ( Golden pass line & Glacier Express) . Two lake cruises Luzern and Geneva. Two Waterfalls Trummelbach and Rhinefalls.Glacier garden museum Luzern, halls of mirrors recommended.

Overall the trip was good although very very expensive. For food I have exchanged Franks currency . Coop, Migros and Kisok are affordable food grocery stores. Water bottle cheap 1.5 L for 0.25 Chf. Fountains are also good. Food : breakfast included in room price . we got sandwiches , salads for lunch and dinner ( Mcdonnalds, Burger King, Donner kebabs , Asian restaurant) managed to get halal food in Interlaken and Zermatt.

Itinerary we made :
    day1 Saturday: Zurich airport – train to Luzern . After getting fresh at ibis styles , we visited old Chapel bridge , lion Monument. Luzern station is good to find a variety of food options , grocery markets , currency exchange . Bus stop and boat station just outside .

Day 2 – Sunday Train to Engelburg for Mount Titlis , weather was good but during iceflyer it turned stormy and rainy . I recommend not use selfie sticks at high altitude, bad experience. Trying to take selfie during ice tubing and my mobile was lost in the ice . Mountain tops are cold so keep warm jackets with you always . Base towns were hot in July 28-30 c . Came back in evening and visited musegg wall .

Day 3 Monday : visited glacier museum , love alhumra hall of mirrors. Then visited mount Pilatus . In the evening travelled to interlaken for 3 nights via Luzern Interlaken express ( Golden Pass Line – part1)

Day 4 Tuesday Interlaken to Montreux via golden pass line part2 & 3. Managed to get VIP seats on our way back . Very scenic route highly recommended. Montreux we got 4 hours to relax and enjoy the jazz festival shops near the lake . We took 2 hours boat cruise on lake Geneva and also seen the famous castle there.

Day 5 – Wednesday – Schynige Platte from interlaken . Free with Swiss travel pass. Very nice ride on cog wheel train and calm relaxing environment at the top . There is a botanical garden and snowy mountain tops in the surrounding . Best views of lake Thun and Lake Brienz from the top . Later we took a short train ride to Lauterbrunnen ( beautiful Waterfalls all around ) . We took a short bus ride for famous Trummelbach Waterfalls. After that we took another half an hour train ride to Grindalwald. Very beautiful jangfru scenery we enjoyed , then came bk to interlaken . Short distance places can b visited easily in one day . Cannot make jungfraujoch trip because it’s expensive only 25%off with Swiss travel pass.

Day 6 Thursday : Interlaken to Zermatt via visa. After lunch in best western hotel we went to gornergrat , wonderful experience of train ride to 10000 feet height . Matterhorn view was spectacular. Later in the evening we visited old town and enjoyed a nice riverside walk .

Day 7 -Friday Glacier express: expensive boring long journey . Wasted my time and money . Was very much excited about this trip, so I reserved seats one by one in 1st class & paid high class upgrade rates and seat reservation cost . Not even a worth of penny to make this awful journey . Not scenic at all . From Chur we travelled to Zurich . Holiday inn express was the hotel we stayed in Zurich . then after some rest , we went to see Rhine falls neuhausen .

Amazing falls gave us a last goodbye from Switzerland. Life time memories we took back . This fourm helped me a lot to plan this lovely trip. Thanks everyone here

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2017 at 7:05:01 #867300

Hi Iffat,

Thanks for your trip report!

It sounds like you have a great trip! Sorry to hear about the Glacier Express not being up to your expectations. I think that is the first negative report I’ve heard so far. I made the trip in the winter 2 years ago and really enjoyed it – but not for everyone I suppose!

PS May your mobile phone rest in peace on Mt. Titlis – what a shame!

All the best,
    Lucas

• The thread ‘7 days in Switzerland – Luzern, Interlaken, Zermat’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.