The Swiss half fare card

The Swiss half fare card

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Jul 18, 2013 - 12:03 PM
Hi I wood like to know if we can use the Swiss half card in Alsace, we will stay at Basel in December, and we won't to travel in Switzerland , and if there is a time , perhaps we will visit Alsace , can we use the Swiss half card in this area?? Another question- what discount it will give as at the cable railway? Thank you for the reference.
Annika
Annika
4355 posts
expert &
Jul 20, 2013 - 11:44 AM
Welcome to the forum! In your case you could only use the Swiss Half Fare Card for public transportation in Basel. As indicated on the validity map, to be downloaded from the Swiss Half Fare Card page, the pass is only valid in Switzerland (with some minor exceptions for connecting routes to surrounding countries), not in Alsace.
bhas76
bhas76
1 post
Aug 10, 2013 - 6:14 AM
I am from India. I would like to know:

(1) Can I get half fare (1 month - 120 CHF) card in Zurich HB?

(2) Can I buy Zur - Lucerne, Lucerne - Interlaken and Interlaken - Zur tickets in adavance from Zur HB while buying the half fare card at 1/2 price?
Annika
Annika
4355 posts
expert &
Aug 11, 2013 - 9:37 AM
Hello bhas76. Yes, the Swiss Half Fare Card is for sale at Zurich HB during opening hours. All purchase options are listed at the Swiss Half Fare Card page. You can buy discounted tickets there in advance, but only if you're sure of your trips and travel dates. If not, just buy your discounted tickets for each trip right before boarding.
Moniqueyong
Moniqueyong
3 posts
Aug 11, 2013 - 11:19 PM
Hi
I have some queries on the Swiss Half Fare card. I'm from Malaysia, will be travelling to Switzerland in November.

1. My flight will arrive at Zurich airport at 6 am. After clearing custom, I presume it will be around 7.30 am. May I know what is the opening time of the sales office at airport? I would like to purchase the
half fare card in airport before heading to city.

2. I will be buying the half fare card for 1 month. Is this card applicable to the Austrian trains? I'm trying to book an overnight train from Vienna to Zurich. I chosen the option with " Schweiz Halbtax - Abo" , where the fare price appeared to be cheaper. Is this promotion applicable to non-Swiss? And the card mentioned is the Swiss Half fare card for 1 month?

3. Due to the Austrian OEBB website is quite confusing ,cause using some German terms and I'm not able to read German. Is the ticket book through SBB website will secure me a seat? ( Let say I have paid the seat reservation. ) Will there be any system duplication, since the websites operated by different train companies?

Thank you :-)
Arno
Arno
7301 posts
expert &
Aug 12, 2013 - 2:49 AM
Hi Moniqueyong,

1. I think they open around 7 AM. Opening hours are at www.sbb.ch. You can get it online too, as shown on the Swiss Half Fare Card page.

2. The card can be used for all trains within Switzerland, as shown on the network map you can download from the Swiss Half Fare Card page. Halbtax-Abo can indeed be selected in your case.

3. Regarding the seat, it does not matter where you book. If the site allows you to book a seat then it will be fine.

Enjoy your stay!

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016