The Swiss half fare card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2013 at 10:03:12 #806136

Hi I wood like to know if we can use the Swiss half card in Alsace, we will stay at Basel in December, and we won’t to travel in Switzerland , and if there is a time , perhaps we will visit Alsace , can we use the Swiss half card in this area?? Another question- what discount it will give as at the cable railway? Thank you for the reference.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    20 July 2013 at 11:44:28 #839138

Welcome to the forum! In your case you could only use the Swiss Half Fare Card for public transportation in Basel. As indicated on the validity map, to be downloaded from the Swiss Half Fare Card page, the pass is only valid in Switzerland (with some minor exceptions for connecting routes to surrounding countries), not in Alsace.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2013 at 6:14:13 #839139

I am from India. I would like to know:

(1) Can I get half fare (1 month – 120 CHF) card in Zurich HB?

(2) Can I buy Zur – Lucerne, Lucerne – Interlaken and Interlaken – Zur tickets in adavance from Zur HB while buying the half fare card at 1/2 price?

Annika
    7124 posts
    11 August 2013 at 9:37:54 #839140

Hello bhas76. Yes, the Swiss Half Fare Card is for sale at Zurich HB during opening hours. All purchase options are listed at the Swiss Half Fare Card page. You can buy discounted tickets there in advance, but only if you’re sure of your trips and travel dates. If not, just buy your discounted tickets for each trip right before boarding.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2013 at 23:19:30 #839141

Hi
    I have some queries on the Swiss Half Fare card. I’m from Malaysia, will be travelling to Switzerland in November.

1. My flight will arrive at Zurich airport at 6 am. After clearing custom, I presume it will be around 7.30 am. May I know what is the opening time of the sales office at airport? I would like to purchase the
    half fare card in airport before heading to city.

2. I will be buying the half fare card for 1 month. Is this card applicable to the Austrian trains? I’m trying to book an overnight train from Vienna to Zurich. I chosen the option with ” Schweiz Halbtax – Abo” , where the fare price appeared to be cheaper. Is this promotion applicable to non-Swiss? And the card mentioned is the Swiss Half fare card for 1 month?

3. Due to the Austrian OEBB website is quite confusing ,cause using some German terms and I’m not able to read German. Is the ticket book through SBB website will secure me a seat? ( Let say I have paid the seat reservation. ) Will there be any system duplication, since the websites operated by different train companies?

Thank you 🙂

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 August 2013 at 2:49:44 #839142

Hi Moniqueyong,

1. I think they open around 7 AM. Opening hours are at the SBB website. You can get it online too, as shown on the Swiss Half Fare Card page.

2. The card can be used for all trains within Switzerland, as shown on the network map you can download from the Swiss Half Fare Card page. Halbtax-Abo can indeed be selected in your case.

3. Regarding the seat, it does not matter where you book. If the site allows you to book a seat then it will be fine.

Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘The Swiss half fare card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.