Travelling by train to Grindelwald

Travelling by train to Grindelwald

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Dec 28, 2011 - 10:52 AM
Hi, I have a choice of travelling by train to Grindelwald from either Zurich or Geneva airports. I will have a Bernese Oberland rail pass valid for either the outward or return journey. Please can you let me know which rail journey you would recommend and why.
Regards

Martin
Wandermann
Wandermann
298 posts
top member
Dec 28, 2011 - 3:21 PM
Hello Martin,
I can think of 4 possibilities and you can check all of them through the Swiss Timetable:
1. Direct route Zürich - Bern - Interlaken - Grindelwald. It takes about 3 hours. The Alps will be visible after leaving Bern.
2. Route Zürich - Luzern - Meiringen - Interlaken - Grindelwald. This one takes about 4 hours. After leaving Luzern the views are beautiful and you will take the Brünig Pass (Altitude about 1000 m.)
3. Direct route Geneva - Bern - Interlaken - Grindelwald. About 3 3/4 hours. (See 2.)
4. Route Geneva - Brig - (Kandersteg) - Spiez - Interlaken - Grindelwald. This one will take you about 5 1/2 hours!
If your time of arrival is early enough I would suggest option 4. Your journey will take you through the valley of the river Rhône and especially after Brig it's very beautiful in my opinion. Consider to take the old route (tunnel) via Goppenstein and Kandersteg. The winding rail track between Kandersteg and Frutigen is a favourite!
Whatever your choice will be: travelling by train through Switzerland will be a special experience!
Enjoy your stay.

Update: I forgot another route:

5. Geneva - Montreux. From Montreux with the Golden Pass Line (a panoramic train - reservation required!) to Zweisimmen and from there to Spiez and Interlaken. This route is indeed very beautiful too! Check the above mentioned Swiss Timetable.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016