Which pass option to get for trip to Jungfraujoch?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 December 2010 at 5:35:49 #804062

Hi

I need some help regarding the various Swiss Pass available and I appreciate if someone can provide some guide.

Weare a group of 4 person travelling together. We planned to enterSwitzerland from France via Basel for 4 days and intend to visitJungfrau. We will be staying in Lauterbrunnen from day 1 to 3.
    Our tentative itinerary as follows:-

Day 1 Colmar – Basel – Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen
    Day 2 Visit Jungfraujoch, Wengen from Lauterbrunnen
    Day 3 Visit Grindelwald and First from Lauterbrunnen
    Day 4 Lauterbrunnen to Paris via Basel

1) As there are many travel pass option, I think either the swisscard or half-price pass is the most appropriate. May I know what is thebest option? How much discount do I get for access to Jungfraujoch?
    2) Do you think the Swiss pass saver works as well since we will be travelling as a group?
    3) I will be arriving in Basel around noon on Sunday. Can I get my pass at the train station?

Thank you so much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 December 2010 at 16:36:14 #832005

Hi joekwchen,

1) The Swiss Half Fare Card would be slightly cheaper. Even thought the Swiss Card includes the round trip from Basel to Lauterbrunnen, purchasing a 50% discounted ticket on top of the Swiss Half Fare Card will costs you less. The trip to the Jungfrau is discounted by 50%.
    2) It will work, but it’s more expensive as you will only make local trips and you’ll get less discounts on the Jungfrau Railways (25% instead of 50%). Details about the discounts for the various passes can be found on the maps we link to from the pages I mentioned above.
    3) The Swiss Half Fare Card can be purchased in Basel, or online. The Swiss Card is only available at airports and border stations (and online as well), so I would expect it to be sold there also.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 December 2010 at 20:44:06 #832006

Excellent! Thank you very much.

• The thread ‘Which pass option to get for trip to Jungfraujoch?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.