Whistlestop Interlaken with children travel report

• JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    15 August 2015 at 15:02:14 #807760

So we have just returned from our visit to Switzerland. I took my 2 boys (aged 9 and 11) Interrailing, we travelled from Amsterdam to Venice in a week, with a 3 night stop in Interlaken. Our train from Basel was, as we discovered would be standard for Swiss trains, exactly on time.

As we journeyed through Switzerland the scenery was amazing, and the boys were really interested to see the landscape change. We arrived at Interlaken Ost, where we made a quick stop at the co-op to stock up as we were staying at a campsite on the edge of lake Thun. Everything was very easy, and we soon arrived at our beautiful campsite. The lake is spectacularly blue, flanked by the mountains, and was warm enough to swim comfortably in.

The one trip we really wanted to make was to go up to the Jungfraujoch. As we only had 2 full days to do this, we decided to risk the weather and buy tickets in advance as we were told tickets were selling out daily. We took the boat into Interlaken West, where we bought tickets using a half fare pass so that the children were free. With the pass and a discount from the campsite, the total for the 3 of us to travel to the top was 105 Swiss Francs. I strongly recommend doing advanced research to get the cheapest fares, otherwise you could end up paying an awful lot of money for this trip.

I was concerned about the weather turning in the afternoon and the boys were really excited to go up to the top, so we decided we would get the 7.05am train from Interlaken Ost. In hindsight we could have bought a cheaper ‘Good morning’ pass for this train but I wanted to keep things flexible. It was well worth getting up early, as the later trains were really full and the mountain was starting to get really busy as we were coming down. Anyway, what a trip, it was everything we had imagined, we all loved it. The glacier is breathtakingly beautiful. We took the Lautebrunnen route on the way up, and on the way down took the other way and stopped off at Grindelwald. The view of the north face of the Eiger from the train is not to be missed.

More swimming in the lake when we got back, and suddenly our days had been filled. I had planned to do another trip or two, with a cable car ride, but when it came to it just soaking up the atmosphere of the lake and the mountains was enough for me and the boys. We’re already planning a longer stay next year where we can fit more in. Our overall experience of Switzerland was overwhelmingly positive, the people are so friendly, the scenery spectacular, and the public transport incredibly reliable. It’s pretty pricey but worth every penny.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 August 2015 at 16:12:22 #845375

Hi JoeyA,

Thanks for your detailed report! Glad to hear you had such a good time. Perhaps it’s reassuring to know that you got the best price for the Jungfraujoch tickets. The Good Morning Tickets are more expensive than what you paid with the 50% discount of the Swiss Half Fare Card. More info can be found here.

Hope to see you back here next year when you’re preparing for your next trip!

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    15 August 2015 at 18:21:09 #845376

Hi JoeyA,

Nice trip report, thank you! Always happy to read that someone has enjoyed Switzerland – thank you for sharing :).

• The thread ‘Whistlestop Interlaken with children travel report’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.