Zermatt and Jungfrau region in March

• J_and_J
    Participant
    4 posts
    18 July 2022 at 14:07:31 #827803

Good day, My wife and I are traveling from the US for a ski holiday March 3-13,. This is our first time to Switzerland are so excited. We are landing in Zurich and plan to travel to Zermatt for 6-7 nights. Here is where I need help planning the rest. I was thinking of traveling to Wengen, Lauterbrunnen or Murren then on to Zurich for our final night or 2. We do not plan on skiing other than while in Zermatt.

Looking for recommendations as to whether this is feasible by train and is if this time line would work?

Which village do yo recommend and any additional suggestions would be greatly welcomed! Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    18 July 2022 at 17:00:51 #944445

We traveled to Switzerland and we stayed in Wengen for a few days and then headed on to Zermatt as well. We had a summer trip. Train travel as you are looking to do is certainly NOT an issue.

Wengen is up above Lauterbrunnen and offers fantastic views. Murren does as well but I believe traveling to and from Wengen may be a bit more convenient. Especially with limited time.

Just remember though train travel in Switzerland is extremely easy, traveling in general will eat up some of your time so when we traveled, we got either early or late trains to maximize our daylight hours.

Anna
    6274 posts
    18 July 2022 at 19:12:16 #944446

Hi J and J,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

I agree with pkerr. Travelling by train in Switzerland is fairly easy. It is also safe and eco-friendly. Also the Swiss rail network is very extensive and integrated so you can travel anywhere with public transport. You can find more information about travelling by Swiss trains here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train.

Your plan to spend a few days in Wengen, Lauterbrunnen and Mürren after a ski trip in Zermatt is definitely doable. All three destinations are located within the Jungfrau region and easily accessible from each other by public transport. So choosing just 1 base would be sufficient. Wengen or Mürren would be ideal if you prefer mountain settings. Whereas Lauterbrunnen is located in the valley and provides faster connection to Interlaken, the main entry point into the Jungfrau region.

You can check train schedules on the SBB timetable. The timetable is a useful tool to help you plan your routes.

Be sure to check out information about railpass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2022 at 22:48:24 #944447

If you add a visit to Wengen or Murren to you ski trip to Zermatt, I strongly suspect you will be tempted to ski there as well! This would be possible – it is easy to hire ski gear ‘on the day’ in Switzerland. I would recommend Murren for that

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    18 July 2022 at 22:56:23 #944448

Hi!

Your trip sounds great! Rail is definitely the way to go, the Swiss are very good at that. Something to consider would be how easy the prospective towns are to reach. Lauterbrunnen and Wengen are both directly reachable by train, but you have to catch a cable car from Lauterbrunnen for the last leg to Muerren, making it slightly more complicated to reach.

Have fun

Alan

J_and_J
    Participant
    4 posts
    18 July 2022 at 23:07:15 #944449

Thank you for your reply. I didn’t know if the weather would be good for skiing around Murren in the middle of March. Definitely will be tempting. Is it worth cutting one of days of Zermatt to ski there?

Anna
    6274 posts
    19 July 2022 at 3:41:08 #944450

Hi J and J,

I think the slopes in Zermatt are fantastic. If you would like to experience skiing in Mürren and Wengen, you could perhaps just extend your trip 🙂

For more useful suggestions to add to your winter itinerary: http://www.myswissalps.com/winter

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Zermatt and Jungfrau region in March’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.