Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen train connections

• Ozswstrv
    Participant
    37 posts
    27 August 2018 at 1:59:05 #818101

Good morning and happy Monday to all.

We are staying 1 night in Zermatt during a whistle stop trip of 7 days in Switzerland. We arrive late at night in Zermatt and I would like to do the Matterhorn experience the next day.

There is a train from Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen for example at 15:37 with the usual 3 changes at Visp , Spiez and Interlaken.

Arrives at Visp at 16:46 on Platform 3

Leaves Visp at 16:57 on platform 4

Arrives Speiz at 17:24 on platform 4

Leaves Speiz at 17:33 on platform 1

Arrives Interlaken at 17:57 on platform 7

Leaves Interlaken at 18:05 on platform 2A

We are a family of 4 traveling with suitcases (there are on wheels). My question is is there enough time to catch the connecting trains at each station?

Plus is it possible to do the Matterhorn experience before we catch the train at 15:37? or would we be better of getting the later trains?

Thanks for all the previous advise given to me. It’s such a fantastic site and I’m sure fellow travelers would be lost without the help and advise you give out

Matt.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2018 at 10:04:26 #895093

Hi Ozswstrv,

Yes, that should all be fine – the connections are designed to work, but with luggage you’ll have to move a little quicker. Google Maps, zoomed in on the stations can usually show you the platforms so you can see where they are.

8 minutes at Interlaken Ost is the only tight connection and it isn’t too tight either. Just be ready with your bags to get off the train and with Google maps and signage there you’ll know where to go.

For Zermatt, assuming you get an early start you can explore Klein Matterhorn (I assume that is what you mean by Matterhorn experience – or maybe Gornergrat?) and return to Zermatt train station by 15:30 without much issue.

Ozswstrv
    Participant
    37 posts
    27 August 2018 at 23:36:30 #895094

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for the reply. So would we really require google maps to get from Platform 7 to platform 2A? is the station that big?

Kind regards

Martin

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2018 at 7:36:10 #895095

Ah no no. I just mean take a look at the station on Google Maps now, to get an idea of where to go.

You’ll see the platforms outlined with their #s. It is pretty straightforward.

Interlaken Ost (and West) stations are quite small and so are most other stations in Switzerland other than Zurich and Geneva.

Zurich HB maybe requires a map as it has 40+ tracks and 3000 or so trains per day. That took me awhile to figure out!

• The thread ‘Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen train connections’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.